28

THE KING
~ Arabella's pov ~

My days were filled with loneliness. Complete and utter silence from my room because that is all I consumed myself in. Tears and agony were what I slept to and woke up to; heartbroken from the betrayal of whom I loved so.

I felt humiliated, trapped in my own body that had let my guard down to a gentleman who hid himself when he was the man who ruled this country.

I squeeze my pillow in thought, tears dripping down my sockets, leaking onto the sheets we once made love in. I could not believe I let a man such as him touch me, kiss me, take over my whole being.

My past self would be in utter disbelief. She would be ashamed of what I have become, but there was no turning back now, I had already done damage.

Damage to my heart.

No word from the king, no words were spoken to him nor his men. I did not bother to relieve myself outside because I was too ashamed that the world knew of what I did.

Tragic.

Days have passed since I have seen Oden-Jaxson. I still remember the look on his face when I told him to leave me be. He was frightened at the thought of never seeing me again, I did not care.

I did. I did care.

He hurt me too badly, pained me, cut me deep in my wounds, scarring me for the rest of my life.

"Arabella..." I lifted my head, listening in on the person who is outside my door. Mother. "You have mail."

"I do not wish to see it," I shoo her away.

She scoffs. "At Least see it. You have been cooped up in this room for days and you have not spoken a word to us, we are your family."

Guilt eats me alive at what she says is true. They were being so kind to me and I brushed them off with every chance I had.

I stand, looking down at the dress I have soaked my tears in and walk to my door. Upon opening, my mother's face comes to view and I am presented with a soft smile.

"There she is!" She exclaims.

"You said I have mail," I remind and she moves out of the way for me to exit.

"You do," she shares. "Your father and I have been so worried for you. Can you please enlighten me on what happened between you and Oden?"

Jaxson. It was Jaxson all along.

"Mother, please," I pleaded with her, showing stress in my eyes.

She nods. "Alright, whenever you are ready."

Upon entering the dining room, Serena sits at a table with Sir Kingsley who accompanies a cup of tea. His eyes lock on me once I enter, and I am too busy gazing at the yellow bouquet of flowers that has arrived in the mail.

"Those are for you," Serena states, hiding a smirk behind her cup.

"It came with a letter," father reveals as well.

My fingers lightly embrace over the yellow petals, and I am stunned by their beauty. A brown letter is seated underneath the bouquet and my fingers latch onto it.

"Open it," mother states excitedly. "Could this be that gentleman you danced with at the ball?"

"Or could it be runaway Oden?" Serena teases. I throw her a glare.

I break through the paper, revealing words that have been handwritten. It was cursive, neat, and from a certain missing king that was brought back home a few days ago.