Ch. 5 *Looking For A Job*

*One Week Later*
LUNA

I managed to get Mom to take me to the boardwalk today. For multiple reasons, one being that she's been cooped up in the new house since we've moved here. And two being that they promised me that I could get a job.

So, after visiting three different places, all of which didn't want to see me, here we are.
Maybe they'll be a place here that's hiring.

I jump out of the car and approach Mom's side. She fixes the strap of her handmade purse, eyes looking around as we enter the Boardwalk.

I've been here three times since the move, this trip being the fourth, and so I'm starting to get to know where everything is.
Mom glances at me from the corner of her eye. "So, where do you need to go?"

"I don't know," I say, "I could've sworn I saw a Help Wanted sign just a few days back."
Unless they took it down...

Mom purses her lips. "Well, let's just look around until we see something."
We keep walking forward, eyes scanning the surrounding area for any Help Wanted sign. This will be my first job ever, so I'm really excited.

Suddenly, the comic book store catches my eye.
Oh! That reminds me...

"Hey Mom?" I turn towards her, "can I run in here real quick?"
"Why?" She asks, raising an eyebrow. "You don't read comics."
"Well, maybe I do," I say before I walk inside. I know I said before that I didn't want to see these guys again, but I wanted to give them some money for the comic.

To be honest...it was interesting.

The dark haired one, Alan, glances at me before he nudges his brother Edgar.
I stand a little awkwardly in front of them.
"Hello," I say, one hand in my pocket, rummaging for that five dollar bill I stuffed.

Edgar glances at Alan, with a weird look in his eyes before they both look at me.
I clear my throat and hand them the money. "Here, I wanted to give this to you. For the comic."

"That's not necessary," Alan says, but I don't give up.
"Fine," I shove the money in his front pocket. "But I'm still giving it to you."
I turn around, about to leave, before Edgar's voice chimes in. "What did you think, reading it?"

I look at them. "It was interesting. But entertaining."
Alan crosses his arms. "You should think of it more like a survival manual."

Survival manual?
Okay...that's totally not weird.
Joking. It's WAY to weird.

I furrow my brow. "Um...okay."
"You really think you know what's happening here?" Edgar approaches me, "let me tell you, you don't know shit, Leavenworth."
Leavenworth? Is he REALLY gonna keep calling me that?

I scoff. This is pointless.
I walk towards the exit, but I'm stopped by Edgar. "Hey, read this."
He hands me another vampire comic. This one, about stopping them.

"Why are you doing this?" I ask as both of them stand in front of me like a wall. "What's with this whole...vampire thing?"
"Working for our folks is just our cover," Alan says.
"That's right," Edgar rolls a comic up and begins to tap on my shoulder. "We're fighters for truth, justice, and the American way."

At this point, I'm seriously annoyed.
"Guys..." I sigh, shaking my head before I smirk. "Just fuck off, okay?" I push past both of them, walking outside to see my mom sitting on the bench.