Ch. 34 *Family*

LUNA

I pull up to our driveway and park, taking my seat belt off the same time Star does.

Michael's mom was kind enough to let me drive her car to my house with Star.
My first time driving, but surprisingly, I did it really well.

Star exhales softly, shoulders slouching forward.
She's dressed in a white tank top with a pink sparkly skirt that makes a mild 'clinking' nose as she walks.

She hasn't said a word to me since we entered the road leading to our driveway.
I glance at her. "You nervous?"

She nods. "Yes," she whispers, hand raising up to play with a strand of her curly hair, "what-what if they don't want me back?
What if they don't see me as they used to. What-"

"Hey," I reach over and put my hand on her shoulder.
She looks at me.
"All they've ever wanted was for there daughter to come back. All they wished for was for your safety," I push aside her hair. "Trust me, they'll be so happy to see you again that they'll forget any ounce of anger they felt."

"Luna..." Her lips part, eyes filling with tears.
I reach over and hug her, rubbing a hand up and down her back.
"I'll go get them," I open my door, "just wait out front, okay?"

"Okay," she nods, slowly stepping outside while taking deep breaths in and out, hands brushing away any invisible dust on her skirt.

I run forward to our front door, opening it and running to Mom and Dad in the living room.
Mom's reading, and Dad's watching a movie.

"Mom? Dad?"

They look at me.
"Yes LuLu?" Dad smiles.
Mom smiles as well softly.

I take a deep breath in, "can you come outside with me? There's somebody I'd like you to meet."
They share a confused glance between each other, before standing up and following me to the front door.

"Luna?" Mom asks as I open the door, "what's the meaning of thi-"
She stops, frozen in place, as her eyes stare at Star.
Star stands hands clasped behind her, a nervous soft smile on her face as she stares back at her parents.

Both of them look like they want to run to each other, but at the same time, afraid to do it.
Dad looks between his wife, and Star.

There minds are doing backflips, hopeful, confused.
"Luna..." Dad looks at me. "Whose that?"
But before I can answer, Mom steps down the porch and rushes to Star.

She gets so close that she's barely an arms length away.
Slowly, Mom raises a hand, touching her face softly.
"...Star?" She asks through a whisper, fear in her voice.

She's afraid that she'll be told no, or that she'll wake up from a dream and realize that it wasn't real.

But this is real...

Star nods, tears streaming down her face as she opens her arms.
"Mom."
Both of them collide into each other in a tight, long, hug. One that both Mom and Star have needed for years.

Mom's crying tears of joy, squeezing Star.
"Oh, my baby girl," she pulls away, eyes scanning every inch of her as if she's too good to be true. "Look at you. You're grown up."