Ch. 29 *Nowhere To Go*

LUNA

I stare at Star, wide eyed.
She caught on to me and Marko's relationship...
At the worst time possible.

She raises an eyebrow, waiting for a reply.
I sigh. "Okay..." I lick my lips that just went desert dry. "Marko and I are a couple."

Her eyes widen, but not in shock.
In anger.
"How long?" She asks through clenched teeth.

"Seven months," I say, "Star I-"
"What. Did. You. Do. Last. Night?" She pushes me forward by walking into me.

An act of control to keep me fearful and small.
I stare up at her, lips glued shut.
It doesn't take long for her to say it.
The one thing that makes this whole conversation uncomfortable.

"Did you sleep with him?" She asks through a whisper, her voice wavering from how angry she is.

"Star-"

"ANSWER MY QUESTION!" She shouts, something I've never heard her do before.

Fear makes my heart pound.

I try not to stutter, knowing how furious Star is.
I don't want to tell her, but at the same time, I can't lie to her.

I sigh. "Yes," I whisper, refusing to look into her eyes that stare me down. "I did."
Star looks like she's about to smack me across the face.

And just when I brace myself for any contact, she surprises me by yelling.
"How could you be so stupid?!" She shouts, pacing as her hands fly on her hair, in a attempt to gently pull on it.
"Do you realize what you could've done?! And for WHAT?! Because you couldn't control yourself?!"

"Star-"

"I cannot BELIEVE you!" She screams, before a finger points in my face. "Not only could've Marko died, but YOU just gave him a piece of yourself you'll never get back! HIM! Of all boys! Why?!"

"Because I love him!" I scream back, anger filling my chest at her hurtful words.
Her eyes widen.
"And he loves me," I say, breathing heavily.

Her lips part, but shakes her head after a moment of silence.
"You don't know anything about love," she whispers.
At that, I'm furious.
She dare says that I don't know about love?! Her! Of all PEOPLE!

I step close to her face. "That's real rich coming from you," I growl, "you were the one who threw our family away because of a couple dumbass kids. YOU were the one who took a piece of Mom and Dad away forever! YOU were the one who doesn't know about love Star!"

Suddenly, her hand smacks across my face.
She gasps as I double over to the side, clutching my face where she hit me.

My eyes widen.
She's never hit me before...

Her jaw is dropped, but I stare at her in pure hate.
She reaches out. "Luna I-"

"Don't fucking touch me!" I throw her hands away before she can touch me. "You fucking bitch!"

Her eyes widen, and she stands completely still, one hand over her heart.
I once believed that me and Star would be the type of siblings that never fought, that always found a way to communicate without harsh words and violence.