'were you expecting me to?'

𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩-
𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘢 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶
𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵

word count - 589

"y/n? we need to talk." jenna scared you a bit, she never used that tone. you had just barely gotten home. 

"okay, i'll be over there in a second" you responded, taking off your coat and shoes. you inhaled deeply as you made your way to the couch where jenna was. you sat down beside her and noticed a dot of sadness in her usually radiant eyes. you now grew a little scared.

"y/n i need you to promise you won't be upset," she muttered, her hands fiddling with the string of her sweatshirt. fuck being a little scared' you were shaking in your socks at this point. you placed your hands over hers, and she looked at you.

"hey, you can tell me anything. i promise i won't be upset and we can figure it out," you smiled and that seemed to calm her a bit. you always tried to be the bigger person in every situation, always the mom friend, and always dragging others away from conflict when it wasn't worth it.

"y/n...i think it's best if we see other people?" jenna almost looked like she was flinching, she was expecting some kind of eruption out of you. you took your hands off of hers, she seemed upset by the loss of contact. you just sat there for a minute, looking at her. "please say something" she begged.

"okay, do you want me to go stay at my mom's? i can be out in like 30 minutes" you suggested, now establishing your own space on the couch, separate from hers. 

"you're really not gonna blow up?" she asked you, a little surprise present in her voice.

"were you expecting me to? i'm a woman of word. i promised i wouldn't be upset" you replied simply. she just stared out, her expression now completely changing.

"so that's it? you're just gonna let me go?" jenna questioned you. you were confused now, she had just said she wanted to break up, and now she was upset that you were respecting her decision?

"is that not what you wanted?"

"you're not going to fight me on this?"

"no jenna, i'm respecting your decision."

"no y/n, fight for me. fight for us. make me want to love you again"

"i can't make you do anything. you wanted to break up, i'm simply respecting you" you explained. this was a mess now. did she, or did she not want you? if she did why did she try to break up with you?

"what? i love you, and i thought you loved me too." you noticed her eyes began to flood with tears.

"i do love you jenna, i love you enough to let you go if that's what you want"

"if you loved me you would be fighting for us," she started to cry. and as much is it broke your heart to watch her be upset, you still didn't fully understand what was happening.

"jenna, what did you really want out of this? because it's clear you didn't want to break up"

"i wanted you to fight for me, i wanted to know you care-"

"no, you wanted to fight with me."

"did you ever love me, y/n?"

"of course i do, that's why i'm trying to understand-"

"then why won't you fight for me?"

"this wasn't the way to ask for reassurance. and frankly, i don't want to be with someone unable to communicate"

"oh, so you're breaking up with me now?"

"if that's what this has come to"

and with that, you gathered a small bag and left. going to your moms'.

~~~