'i don't want you like a best friend'

𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩-
𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘫𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘢 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘵𝘺

word count- 1382

"i'm sorry for being a little nervous!" you exclaimed jokingly, though you weren't joking at all. you stared at yourself in the vanity mirror. you sat in your makeup chair preparing for the last show of your tour in l.a. this was the first international tour since becoming an a-list celebrity.

your most recent album blew up. quickly sending you up the ranks. and with the ranks, come more brand deals, paparazzi, and pr. the last one you dreaded more than anything. you weren't the only name to go viral as of late, your good friend jenna ortega was blowing up as well.

you had known jenna for years, keeping in touch after you guest-starred on her disney show. the two of you were attached at the hip, best friends since day one. so when you both began rising to fame, simultaneously no less, your teams thought working together would be a good idea.

fake dating. the worst possible idea they could've had. it wasn't terrible, jenna was your best friend so it wasn't hard to pretend you were in love with her. it was a lot of fun having your best friend accompany you on your tour. but after the first few cities, you found that you weren't pretending anymore.

you had fallen in love with the young actress. but you had no way of knowing if she felt the same way about you. and it terrified you. love was such an unknowing thing, and it was scary.

your makeup artist, cole, chuckled at how flustered you became at the mention of your best friend. you sent him a judgemental glare as he blended product into your complexion.

"babe you'll be fine, i'm sure she'll love the song," cole commented. he gave you a sweet, supportive smile. you had an amazing relationship with your team and told them practically everything.

"yeah, it's been stuck in my head since you showed it to us," your hair stylist, ashlyn, cut into the conversation. you brought your knees to your chest, hugging yourself as you buried your face in the hollows of your hands. cole then reprimanded you for messing up your makeup. 

just then, the small brunette girl waltzed into the room. her headphones were slung around her neck, her sweatshirt falling slightly off the shoulder. two warm coffees in her hands as she approached you. her smile was wider than an ocean.

"hey, it's your favorite," she set the coffee down in front of you on the vanity. she smiled at you, which you reciprocated. you felt like a child, all giddy over your crush. at times it felt like she was playing with you. when she would hold you when no one was watching or feather small kisses in places no best friend should.

this time she pressed a chaste kiss on your forehead, saying greetings to your team before walking back out of the room. a blush overcame your cheeks and it wasn't from coles product. 

"she definitely likes you back," ashlyn stated from behind your head. she wasn't wrong from her perspective. your entire team knew about the PR deal so it was odd for her to pretend to be your girlfriend in front of them. but of course, you weren't complaining. 

soon it was mere minutes until you would be out there, singing in front of thousands of people. you jumped up and down in the wings with your chunky boots weighing you down. you were nervous but managed to trick yourself into thinking it was excitement. 

you ran out on stage, waving and smiling. the crowd chanted with excitement as you screamed your greetings. this was your happy place, in the spotlight, in front of thousands of supporters. it was your paradise, heaven even. 

then you saw her, just when you thought paradise couldn't get any better. there she was, front and center. jenna. you made eye contact, sending her a wink when she chanted with the people around her.

you jumped, screamed, danced, and of course sang on that stage. it was by far your best, most interactive crowd yet. you were having the night of your life, sneaking glances at a certain brunette every once in a while to find her staring back at you. you don't know why you expected anything different.

you ran through half of your set list by this point, taking pauses every once in a while to interact with the sea of people. you were squatted, talking to a person on the floor on the opposite side of the stage when something was thrown onto it. you perked up your head and looked at the item that was now stationary on the stage. you looked up at the crowd and then back at the item.

they roared with laughter as you stood up again, walking over to it. water bottle in hand, you kept staring at the people in the stands as you kept walking. you leaned down as laughter overtook the stadium again. you glanced up and brought your microphone to your lips.

"who threw their shoe?" you asked breathlessly. laughter was all that could be heard for minutes at a time. your gaze scanned over the people closest to the stage until they landed on one person raising their hand, jumping up and down.

"why? logically, why would that make sense?" you shook your water bottle as your arm moved to further exaggerate your point. you started laughing into the microphone whilst interrogating this person on the floor.

"now you're the dumb bitch in the concert without a shoe, everybody when you see this dumb bitch walking around without a shoe, take pictures," you walked away from the scene and left the shoe on the stage. you made one more snarky 'you fucking dumb' before resuming your setlist.

the rest of the concert ran smoothly with no other shoes being thrown. it hit you that this was your last show, and that sucked. you would miss this more than anything because this was the best way to interact with your fanbase. 

"i had such a good time tonight l.a, what do you say to one more song?" you were sweating, panting, and asking one final question to your last crowd. it pained you knowing it would be a while before you were performing like this again. those feelings faded as the people screamed, giving you all the confirmation you needed to play your last song.

"so i wrote this song about a very special person, so i hope you enjoy it. l.a, i give you dress."

(𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴 - 𝘵𝘢𝘺𝘭𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘸𝘪𝘧𝘵)

the music started and began dancing around the stage, singing the lyrics, and then the beat dropped. 

"say my name and everything just stops. i don't want you like a best friend." your gaze was everywhere in the stadium except the girl right in front of you at the edge of the stage. you tried with everything you had not to look at her. but that was short-lived. you caught her eye and couldn't look away. you were stuck.

"only bought this dress you could take it off, take it off-" you harmonized, still never looking away from her. she was smiling wider than when you saw her earlier. it's like she was a magnet, but the same force she was pulling you in she was repeling everyone around her. you made your way to the end of the stage, getting on your knees so your face was right in front of hers.

"there is an indentation, in the shape of you. only bought this dress so you could take it off. you made your mark on me, golden tattoo. only bought this dress so you could take it off" the music cut. your face was mere inches away from hers. you removed the microphone away from your mouth, placing it next to you on the stage so only jenna could hear you.

"i love you, jen. for real. no pr, no fake relationship, just you and me." you panted, anxiously awaiting her answer. you watched her smile, and take your face in her hands.

"i love you too."

was all she mumbled before pressing her lips to yours in a chaste kiss. one that spoke more words than language itself. one that told you all you needed to know.

~~~