'how did you?'

𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩-
𝘤𝘩𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘮𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘦𝘹𝘵𝘳𝘢 𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳

word count - 1871

you were pulled out of your work by the aggressive tone of your phone. rather than feeling annoyance at the distraction, your ears perked up, and you felt excitement slowly flooding your system. drowning you in a pool of anticipation and fear..

it was a special ringtone that removed your blinders. a ringtone you had set for a very special person. the song continued - just the two of us, grover washington - when you finally moved to pick up your phone.

you held the delicate item in your hands, the caller id taunting you.

jenna 💜

of course, you wanted to talk to her, but you hadn't seen her in nearly four months. there was zero possibility you weren't going to say something stupid

it finally hit you the call would soon go to voicemail, pressing the answer key and held the phone by your ear. "hello?" you answered, truthfully unsure if she butt-dialed you or not.

there was shuffling for a moment before a voice spoke back at you. a voice you didn't recognize. "hi, is this y/n? like y/n l/n?" the voice was nasally and chipper but you could sense a bit of unease on the other side of the line.

"shouldn't you know who you're calling? and isn't there caller id?" you were now loaded with questions. some flowing faster than others.

"dude i don't know, the caller id only says ' baby' with some stupid lovey dovey emoji. " the voice spoke quickly and as if you were in the room with them. you could feel their nerves building. "now is this y/n l/n or not?" they reiterated.

"okay chill, and yeah it is. who are you, and why do you have my girlfriend's phone?" you moved to place the phone soundly on your desk by your laptop and steaming cup of hibiscus tea. the call is now on speaker, so you can focus on your work once more.

a relieved sigh could be heard on the other end of the line followed by more quiet shuffling. the small sounds raised your suspicion. until the person spoke again. "i'm her sister. hi nice to talk to you i'm aliyah, i have a kind of big request." the girl you now knew was your girlfriends younger sister spoke rather quickly.

a soft hum reverberated off the back of your throat as you took a long sip of your tea, aliyah took it as a sign to keep talking. "obviously if you can't, i get it, but... okay, so basically i got jenna for secret santa and your girl is like mega broke so i-"

"do you want me to send you money for her gift?" you cut the young girl off with your assumption. the grumble that came from your speaker indicated she did not appreciate that.

"no, i was wondering if you would be her gift. since, like, you haven't seen each other since 'beetlejuice' wrapped, and you haven't met the family yet, and she won't shut up about how much she misses her stupid girlfriend... no offense."

"none taken, when am i flying out?" your reply came naturally as you were now half zoned into your work again.

there was a moment of silence, which you assumed was silent celebration before you heard aliyah again. "i was not expecting this to work, i'll text you my number off her phone to send you the detail, then delete that text kay? she is like hunting for her phone so... gotta go bye!"

the monotone beeps were heard, indicating aliyah had hung up. you sat at your desk in quiet contemplation of what you just agreed to. soon enough you received a text with a phone number.