Chapter 14

"Lilly. It's time to get up, sweetie," calls a soft and sweet voice.

Lilly slowly blinks her eyes open, sits up, tosses off her cover, stretches, and yawns. "Morning, Mom."

Her mom leans down, hugs her, and kisses her forehead. "Good morning, sweetheart. I went ahead and brought all of your stuff down here for you so you don't have to climb the stairs with your ankle. Your clothes are over there on the chair and I put your makeup, your hair stuff, and your jewelry box on the coffee table. Oh, and your shoes are under the coffee table," says Mrs. Andrews as she points over to the table before turning around to walk back into the kitchen.

   Lilly smiles. "Thanks, Mama."

   Mrs. Andrews smiles back. "You're welcome, sweetie. Now come on, hop up and start getting ready. Breakfast will be ready in about fifteen minutes."

Lilly smiles. "Ok, Mom." Then she stands up and hobbles over to the chair her clothes are on. She throws on a just-above-the-knee white dress with sunflowers on it, then hobbles over to the coffee table to slip on her black sandals, which have a rhinestone cross in the center of the strap surrounded by tiny rhinestones on the rest of the strap. Then she grabs her hair accessories, makeup, and jewelry, and limps into the downstairs bathroom. She stands in the mirror to fix her hair and makeup; she decides to wear her hair down with a sunflower flower crown since her hair is so curly. Once she finishes doing her makeup, she opens her jewelry box and slips on her gold watch, which has rhinestones surrounding the clock, along with a sunflower charm bracelet, necklace, and earrings. Now that she's ready, she limps into the kitchen and sits down to eat breakfast.

Her mom looks at her. "Wow, sweetie. You look so pretty."

Lilly smiles. "Thanks, Mom. You do too."

Mrs. Andrews smiles. "Aww, thank you, sweetheart," says Mrs. Andrews as she places a plate of s'mores french toast along with a glass of milk in front of Lilly.

Lilly's face lights up. "Wow, Mom. This looks delicious. I can't wait to dig in."

Mr. and Mrs. Andrews laugh. "Well, you don't have to wait long, sweetie." Then Mr. Andrews says the prayer, and everyone dives in.

After everyone finishes eating, Mike helps Mrs. Andrews clean up the dishes, and then they head off to church.

When they get home from church, Mike hops out of the car and scoops Lilly up in his arms. Then he carries her inside as Mr. Andrews holds the door open for him. He walks over to the couch and gently sets her down. Lilly smiles up at him. "Thanks for carrying me, Mike. My ankle's just hurting so bad, I didn't know if I could walk on it anymore."

Mike returns the smile. "Of course, little sis. That's what brothers are for."

Mrs. Andrews walks over to Lilly. "Are you ok, sweetie? Can I get you anything?"

Lilly replies, "I'm fine, Mom. My ankle just hurts pretty bad."

"OK, sweetheart. Let me know if you need anything. I'm going to be just around the corner, ok?"

"OK, Mom. Oh. Wait. Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie? What is it?"

"What are we going to do about tonight?" questions Lilly.

Mrs. Andrews gives her a baffled look. "What about tonight, sweetie?"

"Church. We're supposed to have church tonight."

Mrs. Andrews remembers. "Ohh, yeah. I completely forgot about that, sweetheart. Well, we'll just have to miss it this time. You really don't need to be on your ankle any more than you have to be."