Chapter 11: Lila's Promise

LUNA

When my eyes open, they're met by the white ceiling of my bedroom like normal. My vision is blurred, so I blink a few times until it clears. Only then, do I decide to evaluate my situation, my neck lolls to the side, catching sight of a figure sat at my desk chair.

"Luna, you're awake." Zayn's voice greets me.

I narrow my eyes, focusing on the figure, watching his features come into focus. He stands and moves closer, sitting on the edge of my bed.

"You ok?"

"What happened?" I slur.

"You fainted." He holds out his hand to me, I take it and he pulls me into a upright position "I brought you up to your room."

"Ow." I hiss, my hands going to cradle my throbbing head.

"Let me."

He reaches out, grabbing onto my wrist, I watch confused as the veins in his arm start to flood black, and my headache starts to melt away.

"What're you...?"

I don't even know what I'm asking.

"Absorbing the pain." He nods slowly "Incubus trick."

Thats when it sinks it, fragmented at first, but soon all together. The room downstairs, the pictures on the wall, the truth about Zayn.

"Fuck," I sigh.

"I got you some water." He nods to the bedside table where a tall clear glass sat, releasing my wrist from his grip.

"Please tell me I'm having an acid trip."

He can't help but laugh "I'm sorry to say you're not."

"I don't know if I can take all of this..." I begin to shake my head, my hands tugging at my curls.

"It's a lot, which Lila anticipated." He nods, I shudder at the use of her first name, he ignores it and continues "That's why she told me to give you this when you finally found out." He digs through his pocket, pulling it out and opening his palm to me.

In it, sat a small black USB stick. I take it cautiously.

"Watch it, take the night to sleep on it, and call me when you're ready to talk, OK?"

"OK."

I can't take my eyes off of him as he stands and makes his way to the door, I scan over him as he does. His skin is perfect, not one spot or scar, not even eyebags. I've always appreciated he is at good looking man, but now I'm beginning to wonder if being an Incubus has anything to do with that, is that why he's not been stuck with any of the awkward indicators of puberty? Why he's so unfathomably attractive?

"Goodnight, Luna." He says quietly as he slips out of my bedroom, closing the door behind him.

Alone with my thoughts for the first time since the bomb that is the truth has detonated on my life, and I want nothing more than to just sleep. I don't want to process any of this new information, or to answer any of the many questions banging against my skull. I'd prefer to enter my subconscious and leave all of this as weird lucid dream, and when I wake up for everything to be back to normal, my normal, my real home with my real family in a world where my mother was a baker who died of cancer.

But I know I'm not that lucky. I know that Zayn is telling me the truth, and I can't shake that feeling as much as I want to. My fingers roll the USB around in between them. I don't know what to expect of whatever my mother has left me on this USB, but mainly because now I don't know what is in the realm of acceptable to expect. For all I know, this could be anything from an adoption certificate to proof my father is a werewolf.