Chapter 23: Lace

Luna's POV

"Zoey." I groan, eyes still tightly shut even though the morning has come and gone and we are seeping into the early hours of the afternoon "Your feet are cold."

She rolls over. Despite all the space in my king-sized bed, she, of course, decided to sleep on my side the entirety of the night.

"Sorry." She mumbles foggily "What time is it?"

I crack one of my eyes open, turning to the digital numbers displayed on the clock on my desk "One thirty."

"Fucking hell." She curses under her breath "We weren't up that late, were we?"

I prop myself up on my shoulders, my gaze hazy as I try to wake my system up.

"I believe we stopped karaoke at three am."

"Jesus, Zayn is probably pissed, two teenage girls screaming in his living room until early morning and I've kicked him out of bed with you instead of staying in a guest room."

"Yeah, but he will get over it." I grin, sitting up properly while Zoey rolls onto her back "Have you spoken to Tiago?"

She falters "Yes."

"Oh, there is a story behind that yes." I pull the sheets from me, clambering out of the bed, grateful for the carpeted floor against my bare feet.

"I'm not sure you want to know it." She flings her legs over the side of the bed "We slept together."

"Gross, Zoey." I grimace.

"Oh please, it's no different to what you and Zayn are doing."

"Zayn isn't your brother and I'm not sleeping with him."

"Still?"

I avoid her gaze. I'm not sure how to explain the fact I'm in love with a man I've been dating for a month, the one she hates, and I'm terrified that I am already moving too fast.

"Still."

"Is everything... OK with you two?"

I hesitate and she notices.

"Luna, I'm your best friend, Siren aside, you can talk to me about this kind of thing."

She picks my jumper off of the back of my desk chair, pulling it over her head while I reach into my drawer and grab a t-shirt.

"I know, but I also know you don't want me with him." I point out "So, I don't know if you really want to hear about all the small details."

"Me not liking him has nothing to do with my ability to be your friend, nor does it have anything to do with his ability to treat you well. So, I can listen all day," She folds her arms, curls tangled into a bun and mascara smudged underneath her eyes.

"Thank you, Zoey."

"So, spill, why aren't you getting your freak on?"

I huff "Because we've been dating for a month, because I don't want to move too fast..."

"There is something you're not telling me." She narrows her jade eyes at me "I know you too well, Luna, nine-years-too-well."

I grab a hairband off my desk, pulling my curls together into my fists and forming a ponytail "Maybe you do."

She raises an eyebrow at me expectantly.

"I think I love him."

His eyes widen "Oh, wow, that was quick, don't you think?"

I grab a pillow off the bed and throw it at her "Not helping."

"OK, OK!" She chuckles "I'm not sure why that's stopping you from sleeping with him, though?"