Chapter 27: Loco for Loki

LUNA

Zayn is not in my bed when I wake up, and I feel considerably more panicked than I have in a long time. I'm not sure what it means for us now Loki has showed up. I'm not sure what any of it means at all. I decide today to dress in my own t-shirt instead of one of Zayn's, and maybe that means nothing, but maybe I am coming to terms with the fact that I don't know Zayn, not really, not at all.

I hesitate at the kitchen door at the sound of two gruff voices going back and forth. I'm not sure if I want to be involved in whatever the brothers are talking about, but I can't stay holed up in my room forever. I push into the door slowly, so they both are aware of my presence.

Zayn looks at me first, and sighs when he sees me, a vastly different greeting to the one I usually get in the morning.

"Luna." Loki chirps contrastingly "Morning, love."

I look to Zayn for guidance, instructions on how to act towards Loki, whether to be frightened or friendly. He gives me nothing. 

"I'll bring breakfast up to you." Zayn informs me, and I wonder if he is refusing to touch me, kiss me like he normally does in the morning, because of his brother's presence.

"Uh, OK." I nod awkwardly, readying myself to leave, but Loki stops me.

"Oh come on, she can stay, I don't bite." He looks at me through his eyebrows "Or, I won't, at least."

Zayn is not impressed with Loki's joke, he scowls, but doesn't argue with Loki's invitation, and only now does he acknowledge me properly, opening his arms for a hug that I am relieved to receive.

"I'm sorry." He whispers to me so quickly I nearly miss it.

"I can't believe you." Loki laughs at us "Luna Ghost, of all women."

"Leave it alone." Zayn scolds him, and now I understand why his reception to me was so cold earlier, he was trying to avoid this.

"Do you know anything about me? Anything at all?" He presses, eyes searching mine now.

"God." Zayn curses under his breath.

"No." I shake my head.

"Ironic, considering how much I know about you, considering I saved your life." He huffs and I look again to Zayn to confirm what he's saying.

"Loki is who helped me get you out of the Incubi grounds." Zayn explains, begrudgingly. 

"Yes, I gave you back to your mother, when you were only a baby." He looks over me closely "It's weird seeing you again, all grown up." 

"I can imagine." I look blankly at him, still not accustomed to a new person in the house, in the kitchen Zayn and I have so happily been playing house in.

Zayn's hand touches my back, cautiously, gently "Luna, please, I'll bring you breakfast upstairs."

Loki groans, standing, bored of Zayn's apprehension, and I notice a tattoo on his forearm that I've seen before. Two snakes wrapping around and eating the tail of the other.

"I'm not going to hurt her. Would you relax, let the girl get her breakfast."

I clap my hands together, attempting to dissipate some of the tension in the room "I'm going to head up."

I turn to leave and push through the door before Loki can object, or Zayn can encourage me. I reach the room quicker than I have before, suddenly more aware of my surroundings at the new addition of my new house mate, and I consider for a moment going to sit in the anti-occult room until Zayn brings me a bowl of cereal.