Chapter 33: Library

Luna's POV

The library Loki drove us to is small and gothic with high arching ceilings and dark wooden beams keeping it up. The books are stacked on shelves that tower over us, making me feel much shorter than I actually am, and they seem to taunt me. Teasing me for all the things I don't know that they do. I swear I can almost hear them whisper to me, telling me to get out. I absentmindedly sink into Loki's side and when he puts his arm around me I form the words to protest in my mouth but swallow them when the feeling of comfort seeps in.

"You're alright, sweetheart, places like this are designed to make humans feel unwelcome." Loki reassures me, and the coolness radiating from his body isn't as gentle as Zayn's cold aura.

We walk towards the front desk, still stuck to each other, where Loki greets the librarian. A young woman with thick brows and dark hair. Her eyes narrow as she sees him.

"Delilah." Loki says

"Loki." She sighs "I thought you were dead."

"Not just yet."

Loki's arm drops from my side and for a moment I panic, but it soon falls to my side and his fingers grasp my palm before interlocking with my own.

"What do you want, Loki? Did you really come all the way out here to bother me?"

"Relax, Delilah, I wouldn't hurt you, love. I'm here to browse at some books."

"Who's the girl?" Her attention turns on me, our eyes meeting, and she doesn't seem fond of me already.

Loki steps in front of me, breaking the eye contact "Never you mind."

"Don't tell me you're taking your food out on a date to my library, Loki." She grimaces.

"She's not." Loki tuts but trails off.

He can't lie his way out of this one, the adder's tongue, so I step in.

"I'm his girlfriend." I lie, bile balling at the back of my throat at the idea, but I need to say something believable.

"Girlfriend?" She retorts.

Shit, maybe Loki having a girlfriend isn't believable.

Loki's eyes are as wide as his grin as he looks at me, amused by my fib.

"Well, good luck to you. Don't let him meet your sister." Delilah grimaces, bypassing my comment, she almost looks jealous "Don't steal any books, Loki."

"Scouts honour." Loki holds up his three fingers before leaning on the front desk to get closer to her "If you tell anyone that you saw me, Delliah..." He flashes his fangs "I'll make sure you have no throat to tell anyone else."

"What happened to 'I wouldn't hurt you, love'?" Dahlia folds her arms

"I stand by that, so don't give me a reason to step away from it." He raises his eyebrows at her "Now, I need your assistance in acquiring a certain book."

"What book?" She asks, stepping from behind the counter.

He hesitates, turning to me "Go browse some books, I'll be with you in a minute."