Chapter 45: Deserved

ZAYN

The exterior door to the temporary holding cell block opens. I let my lungs fill with air so I can blow it out when she walks out. She does, and I do.

She doesn't look any different. Calmer than the night in the hallway but mostly she looks the same. Her curls are pulled away from her face into a ponytail, slightly frizzed, I imagine from spending a couple of nights in a cell. There is no moment of hesitation, our eyes have been locked since she came through the door. We can sense each other again, I can feel her resentment, her bitterness. I'm sure she can feel mine. Even still, I feel the familiarity.

"Scarlett." I nod when she gets close enough.

She folds her arms, limbs still long as she stands tall at 6ft.

"You had me detained." She seethes.

"You tried to kill the leader of this group. You needed a time out." I pull the box of cigarettes from my back pocket, I offer her one, red fingernails pluck one from the box. I offer her my lighter next.

"I would've done it, you know." She takes a drag of the cigarette.

"I would've killed you."

She rolls her eyes "You're so dramatic."

"Why're you back, Scarlett?"

"I heard Luna was coronated. Made me realise how much time had passed. I thought it was time to come back. I didn't think you'd be fucking her." Her eyes are steely as she looks forward at me.

"Please, Scarlett." I hiss "We're in public."

"Oh you are keeping this affair a secret from the world this time? Not just from me."

"It is not an affair, you and I are not together."

"We're married." She scoffs.

"Separated." I counter "You signed the form."

"Fuck the form." She dismisses me with a wave of her hand.

"You're out on the understanding that you won't try to harm Luna again, I'm serious." I explain, lighting my own cigarette in what feels like an old tradition with her "I understand you may not like it, but she's jefe now."

"I can't believe you." She rolls her eyes "Of all the women on god's green earth, you chose Lila's daughter?"

"Please." I urge her "Not here."

She concedes, begrudgingly. I take her to a new house on the edge of the housing district, trying to avoid the glances of those we pass, those who might recognise the woman I walk with to be my wife.

"You can stay here for the time being, for what I hope is a quick trip?" I lean against the door frame of the new build. It's a bland house. No one has painted the front some obnoxious colour yet.

"Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't you?" She wrinkles her nose "I plan to stay for a little while. I'll have to register my return, of course, given how long I've been gone, apply for approval, for a new house."

"You're not nearly as charming as you think." I frown.

"I'd have to have a meeting with our jefe, explain my absence, discuss my return. Do you think Luna would be sympathetic to me wanting to return to my husband?" She bats her eyes at me.

"Stop it." I growl "Leave her alone, seriously."

"Do you think Lila is rolling in her grave?"

"Don't talk about Lila."

"I reckon she'd hate the two of you together. She made such a fuss about keeping you away from her human life."

"Whatever you're trying to achieve, you won't." I fold my arms.