Chapter 20: Cold Showers

Luna's POV

I lay in Zayn's large arms in silence, staring at the white ceiling of my bedroom above me like I've done so many nights before. It must be nearly morning, but darkness is still engulfing the room. It doesn't feel so empty now, though.

"You talk in your sleep." Zayn's voice startles me slightly, despite being a whisper.

"I didn't think you were awake." I look over to him, eyes still closed.

"I don't really sleep, not often, don't have to."

"Oh. What do you do, just lay here next to me?"

"Sometimes I do. Mostly, I just turn off, stop thinking." His eyes are open now, his head rolling to the side so we face each other, features faintly outlined in my sight in the dim lighting of the early hours "Sometimes I siphon your dreams."

The revelation is not shocking, when someone tells you that they live off dreams and you're the only person they live with, it's not hard to put the theory together, but still, the notion of him skimming through my subconscious makes me feel vulnerable, but I guess that is the entire state of our relationship. This is an occult who could kill me so easily, that I let sleep next to me at night, siphon my dreams like gas from a car.

There is something about that delicate danger that I enjoy and maybe it's fucked up but so am I.

"What do I say?" I ask, and his hand goes to my hip as he turns to his side, whole body facing me now. I do the same. "When I'm sleeping?"

"I think you're speaking to someone in your dream, you sound like you're giving instructions."

"Sounds like me," I laugh quietly at myself "I was constantly barking instructions back at home."

"Do you miss it? Home?" His voice is somewhat reluctant, and there is another question hidden by this one. Do I want to leave here? Him?

"Of course, I miss my family so much." My answer is immediate.

"Yes, but do you miss being there?" He rephrases, his thumb having found a patch of exposed skin on my hip after pushing my shorts down ever so slightly, stroking the skin gently "Here, you don't have anyone to look after, no immediate stress, no working three jobs."

I haven't considered this until now. It's undeniable that my life here is significantly more relaxed, even living with an immortal Incubus.

"I guess you're right." I raise an eyebrow "I do really enjoy just being..."

"You?" He picks up the trail I left "You never really got to the chance to just exist as a sole being, not part of a fragile eco system, taking care of your family the way you did."

"Are you reading my mind, Malik?"

"No," He grins softly, the soft grin that could have me on my knees in seconds "Just listening to you, absorbing."

Absorbing. I don't think anyone has been interested in me enough to absorb my words before, I'm not even sure if I was interested enough myself.

"Yeah, well, maybe the fact you can finish my sentences means we should talk about you more. I feel like I don't know anything about you."

He tenses up ever so slightly, but I notice.

"What is it?" I frown "You don't like to talk about yourself?"

He falters, his tongue pressing to the back of his teeth, filling the tiny gaps between them with a fleshy pink.

"I have an inclination you might not like me as much if you get to know me better."

Paranoia (Zayn Malik) (editing)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें