chapter six - theres a door

for the first time ever, bexley's was wide awake before breakfast. this was mostly due to the fact she had gotten no more than an hour of sleep last night and was fully awake and moving by the early hour of 3:00 am.

fully dressed and ready she walks into the kitchen and catches the group by surprise. liz fakes a gasp and molly and landon pretend to gape at her.

"look who's wide awake today!" ed giggles. bexley rolls her eyes but laughs a little.

liz walks up to her and rests a hand on her forehead. "are you feeling alright?" she asks.

the girl chuckles softly and nods. " yeah i'm fine, just awake." liz pulls her hand back. she hands bex a plate of eggs and sausage.

she sits down in the vacant seat next to landon who is smiling smugly at her.

"what?" she asks.

he shrugs and takes a sip of his orange juice. rolling her eyes at him she turns back to her food and stares at it. she suddenly feels nauseous and quickly looks up from it and to molly who sits across from her.

"where's nick?" she asks the thompson girl.

she hums and furrows her brows in thought. "i'm not sure, she came downstairs before me."

"who cares where she is?" jeremy says scoffing. "let's talk about me... and the amazing dance i planned!"

bex stares at the boy blankly before rolling her eyes. from where liz was standing at the island she speaks. "would a little humbleness kill you?"

"yes." he deadpans.

sighing bex pushes herself up. "i'm going to go check on her." jeremy shoes her away with his hand. rolling her eyes she gives him the middle finger as she pushes herself out the door.

walking into the living room and towards the stairs she hears her friend in the study talking to someone.

"we don't have the money yet. i just talked with you last night."

rounding the corner to the room bex sees nick on the phone, listening intently to whoever was speaking on the other side of it.

after the other person finishes speaking, nick cracks a smile. "i'm fine," she pauses and nods. "yeah, she's fine too."

nick hesitantly looks around the room, sensing someone's presence. though, her face relaxes and her shoulders go slack when she sees it's bexley. bex waves lightly and smiles at her and nick reciprocates this action.

"n- yeah, yeah. she's right here," she says into the phone but keeps eye contact with bexley. "do you want to- yeah." she giggles and hands the phone over to bex.

"sup, tony." bex greats with a playful smile on her face. nick laughs out a breath and turns to look around the room with the same grin still on her face.

"yo, bex." he laughs on the other side. "so, how are you?"

"pretty good. a little disappointed about the wine thing but, uh, you know, i'm fine."

" i know. it's okay, though, don't beat yourself up about it." he says sincerely.

"i won't, i promise."

"pinky?"

a grin spreads onto her face. "yeah, pinky." she raises her arm up, just barely, and holds out her pinky to wrap around nothing. on the other side of the line, tony is performing a similar movement with a wide smile.

growing up bexley didn't have a lot of trust. this was maybe due to her dad or maybe from when sasha stole her blue crayon in the 1st grade. either way, bexley didn't trust promises often, unless they were pinky promises, because obviously that makes it official. at least, to her seven year old logic breaking a pinky promise was like breaking the law. neither her nor tony remember what specific scenario caused her to need a pinky promise validation, but no matter what caused it to start, it started, and since that day that's how they would promise eachother.