chapter sixteen - big fancy checks

later that night, back at the thompson household, bexley and nick sit inside of the guest room focusing their attention to the chrome book in front of them.

nick sits on the floor with her legs crossed and her back resting against the side of bex's bed. bexley lays on her stomach, peering over her friends shoulder to see the screen. they stare at the green go-fund-me website on the screen as bex shows nick how to withdraw the money.

"go to the personal details menu." bexley instructs nick with a pointed finger.

"oh, i see." nick nods, sliding her finger and moving the mouse to the button. "so if i click withdraw all this money will be put into my account?" she asks turning to bex with a smile.

"yep." bex smiles with a small laugh.

both girls grin widely as nick presses the button and the money number disappears.

"that did it." nick mutters happily.

the girls both jump at the loud knock on the door. nick is quick to slam the chrome book and hand it to bex who stuffs it underneath a pillow.

ed's smiling face comes into the room and bex's mood immediately plummets.

"exciting news." ed giggles, approaching the bed. "you remember how you get a five dollar sign-up bonus for opening an account?"

"no." nick states.

"well, it just came through." he flashes the phone quickly to the pair. "you now have a grand total of a hundred and five dollars, check it out." this time when he flips the phone a rush of panic causes both girls to stand.

"you can see my account online?" nick questions fearfully.

"well, sure." ed says. "people in this family don't seem to realize i'm senior loan officer." he complains.

nick and bex both look to each other worriedly as any second he's going to see the number go up.

their fears come true when a sound can be heard from his device and a large frown takes over the man's face.

"whoa, what's going on?" he mutters, raising the phone to get a better view of the screen. "now it says you have ten thousand dollars in your account."

nick stares at him widely as bex looks to the floor, her anxiety making her chest tighten.

"man, someone screwed up royally." ed murmurs staring at the phone. raising his head he begins to speak at a normal volume. "i don't know how this happened. we'll get that money wherever it belongs. it's a good thing i checked." he says, turning to leave.

as the man begins to step away, bex panics, and before she could think she steps forward. "wait, stop!" she demands and ed twists back around. bex clinches her eyes in regret.

taking a deep sigh, nick steps up as well. "it wasn't a screw up." she pauses, looking to bex who looks pale with panic. "we have to tell you something."

"we created the go-fund-me." bex says, looking quickly around the room.

the friends decided it would be best to tell the family all together. so, they brought the kids downstairs and pulled liz from her cleaning and into the living room. bex and nick stand in front of the family, towards the side of the room. the two adults sit on the brown leather couch as their two youngest stand behind it with their oldest on the chair next to them.

"what?" molly asks hurriedly.

"we met omar in a group home, and we just felt so bad for him." nick explains.