chapter twenty one - tell us about yourself riley

bexley's initial reaction to riley visiting the current home of her and nick caused striking fear through her that disabled her own access to her body. she could feel a set of eyes on her but she couldn't bring her muscles to move to them; the only thing she could do was stand, staring, fearing everything her and nick had worked for was over. only after nicks hand touched her was she melted from her trance, meeting the eyes that watched her attentively. receiving a pitying smile caused a sickness in her, but her mind was elsewhere so a simple half-set smile was all she could muster.

now, as she was walking through the door, her panic exhibited itself in a much different way. her senses were heightened, attention hyper focused, and every noise brought alarm to the girl.

the lights turn on and the family enters the house first. "all right, jeremy, liz, you are on snacks. landon you make this house presentable, and molly you're with me, we'll grab the games." ed directs as he hangs his keys by the door. when he turns to the three girls that enter he pauses for a moment. "and...uh, bex and nick, why don't you show riley around?"

bex flashes a wide smile and gives a small thumbs up. "you got it."

"will do." nick adds, forcing a grin.

the girls led riley farther into the living room as they wait for the family to file out of the room.

"so, this is the living room." nick exaggerates. "lots of room for... living."

once everyone is completely out of sight, bexley grabs hold to riley's arm and spins her to face her and nick.

"okay, look, we know it's weird." nick starts.

"but we told them that we are twins and that our last name is patterson." bex continues, eyes wide as she tries to input the information into riley's head.

"yeah, we also said that our parents died in a car crash." nick whispers, checking the surrounding area.

"what? that's insane-" riley exclaims.

"just fuck anything you know about our real families, okay?" bex hastes.

"please, just go with it." nick pleads. "if they find out the truth we'll be in a lot of trouble and they'll split us apart."

riley doesn't get much time to process their words before ed reenters the room. "okay, so apparently, we haven't updated our games in a while." he confesses with a sigh. "we have candy land, half a deck of uno cards, and hungry hungry hippo, singular."

as he explains the situation, the rest of the family rejoins the room and takes a seat around the table.

"oh, um," liz thinks momentarily. "we can just talk then." she suggests. "you know, we can get to know more about riley and maybe learn some more about nick and bex."

"yes." jeremy grins with elation. "lets do that."

riley, who sits on the couch along with her friends, hesitates whilst looking around the room.

nick notices her stress and places her familiarized mask grin on her face. "candy land sounds fun." she smiles, looking around the blank room. "anyone, candy land?"

bex nods. "you are absolutely right, candy land would be so fun right now."

"see," nick giggles, looking back to the family. "there's some real strategy to that game."

the room remains silent until molly turns to riley from her place on the couch. "so, riley, how long have you known nick and bex?"

riley smiles and leans forward. "that's a really funny story, and oddly, it has to do with jambalaya-"