chapter seventeen - i know you.

after the disappointment of the day bexley isolates herself in her room, upset and exhausted. she's sits on her bed unmoving and staring blankly at the wall. what she is unaware of is the exact opposite activities going on down the hall inside of the middle thompson's room.

once getting over the cloud of the fact that bexley was actually speaking to him, landon was reminded of what he had seen that afternoon. what no one knew earlier was that landon had actually witnessed the whole interaction, from when they originally pulled omar away to when they stepped outside. he of course didn't hear anything as the crowd wasn't very silent and especially not after they had gone outside but it worked his mind wondering what was said between them.

he stands pacing the foot of his bed, debating whether or not he should speak to bex about what he saw. landon was concerned for her already after her days-long silence and what he witnessed in math class a few days ago, but seeing her and nick practically holding back tears whilst speaking with the alleged 'social services man', his worries only worsened.

could she be in trouble? he wondered. landon had seen the man take the check from these kids, how would he be able to cash it anyway? he had seen the fear in bex's eyes when the man was speaking and in that moment landon wished more than anything he could read lips. why would she be so terrified of someone from social services? his questions continue to pile and his
answers are nonexistent.

as the questions go up so does his stress levels. decidedly, after weighing his options again and again, he chooses to make his way up the hallway to the guest bedroom.

the light knocks on the door caused bexley to jump lightly, bringing her away from her thoughts. after hearing a light mumbled invitation inside, landon opened the door.

seeing the boy standing in the doorway bex quickly wiped her face and sat up straighter.

"oh, hi." she said, her surprise to see him not well hidden in her tone. she had expected it to have been nick when she heard the knock and was
a little taken aback when it wasn't.

"hi." he mumbles softly. unsure how to explain why he's there and what he saw, he continues to stay quiet.

"um, do you need something?" she asks slowly, raising to her feet steadily.

landon nods his head, his eyes not leaving hers as he takes a leisurely step forward. bex furrows her brows urging him to continue with her eyes. so with a deep breath and another step forward he begins to speak.

"yeah, i um," he pauses taking in another breath. "yeah i need to talk to you."

seeing how serious he looked bexley felt a rush of fear run through her. "what wrong?" she stresses.

running a hand through his hair he looks to floor trying to think of what to say. "today, at the bank..." he starts, attempting to find the words.

even though he barley spoke bex knew where this was going, the anxiety in her chest was unmistakable as she took a quick step back.

"nothing happened." she was quick to say.

"that man..." he begins again, looking in her eyes this time. the fear in her expression only confirms his worries.

she repeatedly shakes her head trying to deny what landon is saying, unable to find the words to explain.

"i don't who he is or what he does-"

"he works with social services." bexley cuts off.

"you're afraid of him. you were close to crying-"

"no." bex interrupts again making landon feel frustrated as he knew she was lying.

"he took omar's money." bex couldn't deny this so she stands staring at him, tears threatening to come to her eyes. "he made nick cry." he continues remembering the man laughing as the three teens stood there helplessly.