Chapter Nineteen

Winnie Melbourne

I push my legs faster, forcing them to propel me forward. I snarl as I dodge a tree and jump over a log before skidding as I make a hard right. I have news, terrible news, for Alpha Kayson. I was going to mindlink him about it when he mindlinked me first, telling me he needed me. Going through every worst possible scenario, I growled again.

There was a clearing up ahead where the packlink was taking me and I growled as I caught sight of the Alpha of Black Mountain. Alpha Bronze's eyes widened as he heard my growl before I flew out of the thicket of trees. I lunged, slamming into the large male and knocking him over. Snarling, I snapped my jaws in his face just as a calloused hand grabbed the scruff of my neck, stopping any further movements.

"Calm, Gamma Winnie. Alpha Bronze comes in peace.", Alpha Kayson says. I thrash and growl, fighting my Alpha. How can the Alpha of Black Mountain come in peace? All he knows is pain and destruction. "I said calm."

I still and my Alpha releases me. Jumping off of Alpha Bronze, I shake out my fur and attempt to get the feeling of sparks off of me. Alpha Bronze looks at me with wide eyes and an awestruck look on his face. "Mate.", he whispers.

Snarling, I shift back and yank on a shirt Alpha Kayson holds out to me. "It would seem so, Alpha Bronze. I can't say I'm happy but Mother Mene has gifted you to me and I will respect and accept that gift." Alpha Bronze nods, still sitting in the dirt and staring at me while I address Alpha Kayson. "Alpha, I have terrible news."

Alpha Kayson straightens his spine and makes himself look larger, the Alpha wolf in him fighting to the surface. "What is it, Gamma Winnie?"

"It's the Clans. They're moving closer to the Mountain. I just got word from Alpha Trey of Blue Moon, the Flat Pack closest to the Mountain's bottom."

"Fuck.", Alpha Kayson curses, running a hand through his hair. "This is not good."

"The Clans? What do you guys have to do with the Clans?", Alpha Bronze asks, standing and joining our conversation.

"There has been talk that the Clans, the smaller groups of wolves that don't have enough bodies to be recognized as an actual pack, have been planning to attack Red Mountain for years now. We didn't believe it because they'd have to get through four other Mountain Packs and they wouldn't stand a chance against us.", Alpha Kayson replies.

Alpha Bronze's face shows his confusion. "But why Red Mountain?"

"For me.", I whisper. "The Clans believe that I am an abomination. They believe that if they sacrifice me on the Blood Moon at a sacred sacrificial altar, the Mother Goddesses will favor them. They are wrong, but they do not wish to listen to reason."

He snarls and his eyes glow a bright yellow-gold, his wolf present. "I will kill them all!"

"That's the plan.", Alpha Kayson mutters, rolling his eyes before turning back to me. "The Clans are becoming bold and I've gotten reports that their numbers are rising. They've gotten more bodies somehow."

"I bet it's the rogues. There's been talk of the Clans offering sanctuary to any rogues willing to help their cause. Because of the amount of fear and wolves I've killed, the rogues must not have any problems helping. They'll be happy to be rid of me.", I explain.

Alpha Kayson runs a hand down his face. "I don't know but we need to figure out their game plan before The Salvation Trials. If they decide to infiltrate the Mountain during the trials, everybody will be open for an attack, especially you."

"She's in The Salvation Trials?", Alpha Bronze asks, looking at me with glowing eyes. I found myself captivated for a moment before I blinked and the connection was broken.

"Uhm, yeah. Against my will. Alpha Kayson entered me and there's no backing out."

"The Mountain needs a new Prime Alpha, one that is strong but also willing to help and hear the packs out. We also need someone who has eyes everywhere, which Gamma Winnie essentially has.", Alpha Kayson explains. "Gamma Winnie is an extremely dominant wolf despite no Alpha Blood flowing through her veins. She doesn't submit to any Alpha, not even the Prime Alpha, because of their power. She submits because of her respect for the Alphas and the pack hierarchy."

Alpha Bronze nods. "I do not wish for you to be in the trials, my dark mate, but there is nothing we can do now. I will help you win."

"But don't you want to win?", I asked, surprised that Alpha Bronze wants me to win.

"Yes, but it is written in the stars that you are to win. Your four mates are to aid you.", he says.

"Written in the stars?", I echo, tilting my head.

His lips curve into a smile as his eyes sparkle. "How do you think I knew about your four mates? You are not the only wolf on the Mountain blessed, but you are the strongest. All four of your mates are blessed also. I can read the stars and the fates of wolves."

"Then what is James blessed with?", I ask, looking at Alpha Kayson.

He shrugs. "Your guess is just as good as mine."