Chapter Forty-One

Winnie Melbourne

I stand on shaky legs, stretching while my muscles quiver and then harden. My joints pop loudly as I step out of the nest while whining softly. My wolf claws at my mind, confusion swirling. The urge to nest is strong and hard to ignore, but there's a threat that must be dealt with.

"He's arriving on packlands, Winnie. He'll be in the packhouse within five minutes.", James mindlinks me.

Growling, I shift and stand on two legs. I'm quick to yank on my discarded clothes and make my way out of the room. The packhouse is quiet as my mates run around doing as I've asked. I make my way to a living room, ducking behind a couch and slowing my breathing.

Light floods into the room and then disappears as Titus steps into the packhouse and closes the door behind him. He moves quietly, making his way to the staircase on the far side of the room. I come out from my hiding spot, staying crouched and moving slowly, stalking my prey. I watch him as he climbs the stairs and then I shift when he reaches the top.

My wolf grunts at her displeasure for this male and Titus turns, eyes narrowed and searching the darkness. I hide on the other side of the staircase, tucking myself against the wall. He mutters something under his breath before turning around and heading for the office.

Titus knows his way around, finding the office easily. As his hand reaches to push the door open, the emergency lights flicker on.

"Lockdown initiated. Lockdown will be lifted in thirteen hours and forty-seven minutes. All defense weapons and personnel have been dispatched.", the automated voice sounds.

The Prime Alpha whirls around. "What the fuck?!", he snarls. "Alpha Samuel!"

I growl lowly as I walk slowly down the hallway, drawing his attention. His eyes widen when he catches sight of me, face paling. "No. He said you were dead.", he whispers.

I snarl and then growl, displaying my humor. Titus stumbles back a step, slamming into the wall. I tap in to my power, forcing a mindlink with him. "A trick, Prime Alpha. All a trick that you fell for."

He shakes his head. "Alpha Samuel is dead? You killed your own brother?"

"Hmm, yes. My mate brought the letter to me. He was going to kill me all for you. You'll say I'm a monster, but I'm not."

My power fluctuates, sending out shocking waves. His knees buckle under the force of it all, my power filling the packhouse and weighing down oppressively. I distantly hear my mates whine but I don't relent.

"What are you?", Titus whispers in horror.

"A future Goddess.", I snarl. "But you're going to meet your current Goddess. Beg for forgiveness, Prime Alpha, because Mother Mene is not at all pleased with you. And neither are my mother and father."

Titus sucks in a sharp breath as I lunge forward. He dodges out of my way, foot missing the first top step and he falls down the stairs with several heavy thuds. I stand at the top of the staircase and stare down at him as he groans and slowly climbs to his feet. I make my way down the stairs as he backs away before turning and fleeing from the door.

"There's no escape, Titus. You're my bloody toy for the next thirteen hours or until I get bored of you. Which I must say, I am already quite bored.", I snarl.

He turns to face me just as I lunge, pinning him against the door. Titus lifts his arms up to protect his face and neck, a smart move, probably the only one he'll ever make. My teeth clamp down into the muscle, spilling blood into my mouth. The iron taste only fuels my wolf and I and we tighten our hold until our teeth scrape his bone.

My teeth are in only one of his forearms and he takes his chance. He slams a fist into my stomach and the air rushes out of me, forcing me to release my hold on him. I drop to the floor and he reels his leg back, ready to kick me, but doesn't get the chance. As his foot nears my face, I snap forward and catch his leg in a tight hold.

The Prime Alpha yanks away from me and vaults over a couch before shifting. His bones rearrange, muscles turning into liquid before hardening. His wolf snarls loudly, lunging towards the couch as I'm coming over it. He misjudges my direction and lands face first into the soft fabric as I sail over him.

I land on my paws and scramble around, jaws open and clamping down onto his tail. He howls as I yank him back with all my might, throwing him into the fireplace. He sneezes as soot covers his face and I take my opportunity to run and wait for him to come to me.

Titus doesn't disappoint and I hear his claws clicking on the floor as he makes his way through the first floor, searching for me with low growls. My eyes darken as he walks right past me and I feel the urge to laugh. Before he realizes I'm there, I dart out from under the table and I'm on him. I don't give him the chance to get his bearings as I bite the scruff of his neck and wrestle him to the floor. Titus snarls as I adjust my hold quickly.

My fangs press against the veins in his neck and I feel the blood rushing through, his heartbeat pounding wildly. "Submit to me Prime Alpha, and I'll make your death painless."

"I'll never submit to the likes of you, Winnie!", Titus snarls in response.

"Are you sure about that?", I ask as I call on the Shadows. My mates whine uneasily in the far end of the packhouse as black masses of shadows darken and move, coming alive with my brothers and other unruly creatures of darkness under my control.

The almighty Prime Alpha whimpers as the first cool black mass touches his back legs but he doesn't say anything in protest. I feel a small sense of respect for his bravery. Facing the Shadows is no easy feat and Titus is taking it in stride.

"I'll stop them if you mindlink the packs and declare me Prime Alpha. There are no more contenders left."

Titus shifts into his human form and I'm thankful that the Shadows have covered his private bits. "There are three other contenders.", he gasps. "And I hope they kill you."

I give him a wolfish grin as my mates show themselves. "Those three contenders are my mates. And they're submitting to me "

The Shadows creep up his arms now and he yelps in fear. "Okay! Just make them stop!"

"Not until you mindlink the packs!"

Titus goes silent, his eyes going blank. "Attention Mountain Packs! The Salvation Trials have come to a close with one clear winner: Gamma Winnie Melbourne of Red Mountain! May she lead us to a new and stronger era!", he announces before closing the link and cutting it completely. The power of the Prime Alpha slams into me and I feel my wolf take on the power in stride, my muscles hardening and my form growing taller. "Now call them off Winnie!"

I shift and ignore the stares of my males as their jaws drop. "You gave the Clans permission to enter the Mountain and kidnap me. You tried my flesh and blood against me. I'm not going to call off the Shadows. Mother Mene has said to kill you, and it will be so."

His screams are the last thing I hear as I turn my back on him, facing my mates. I put my hands on my hips and raise an eyebrow. "What are you three staring at like that?", I huff.

Ezra points at me. "Winnie, you've changed. Your hair is longer and you're taller. And there's something on your face. Not only that, but your muscles are more defined."

Shaking my head, I push past them towards a mirror. "That's not possible. I mean, my wolf is larger, yeah, but my human for-",

I'm stopped dead in my tracks as I catch sight of myself. They were right about my height, hair length, and muscle mass, but as for what's on my face? It stuns me into silence.

Bronze is the first one to speak. "The Mark of Goddess and the Mark of Alpha.", he breathes in awe.