Chapter Twenty-Six

While the kids played in the loft for most of the evening, the adults talked and got to know one another. First in the kitchen while Ben was finishing with dinner, then outside on the back patio.

Ben and Kayla explained what they did for a living and why they were doing it. By this point, neither was surprised when Ben admitted to being the stay-at-home parent by choice. The husband, James, assumed Ben had the freedom to do things a typical guy would do when they got home from a day job, but Ben explained that was a rare chance. Even if he watched TV during the day, it was while folding laundry or something.

James worked as a contractor while his wife, Sasha, worked in a hair salon. Neither were Christians. Sasha was spiritual in other ways, like with nature and stuff, while James didn't bother with anything.

Both Ben and Kayla respected their beliefs, and the conversation shifted to other things. They just needed to know Kimmy would be safe if she and Lucy were to have playdates at their house. James did ask if they forced their beliefs on the kids or not.

"Nope." Kayla was the one to respond first. "We ask the parents if possible what their views and background are, and if they're okay with it, we ask the kids. We do keep the invitation out there if they ever feel curious." She pointed out Kimmy's mom had given the okay, but Kimmy herself hadn't shown interest.

"Would her mother be comfortable with me teaching her my beliefs?" Shasha asked. "So she can learn there are different beliefs than just Christianity?"

Before Kayla could answer, James scoffed, holding his cup of water up to his face. "No need to spread your ridiculousness either, Sash."

Sasha shot him an annoyed look. "There is nothing wrong with believing in something, James."

"Rocks don't have magical powers," he told her.

Ben felt the need to step in. "You don't need to believe it, but maybe respect your wife's?"

James took a long drink. "She can think how she likes." He shrugged the matter away, which Sasha assured he just liked to remind her of how he feels and she has learned to ignore him. James chuckled as if this was just a loving banter of theirs.

Ben was silent that time, watching the two. Kayla didn't seem bothered, but he felt James should have been more supportive of Sasha regardless if they shared beliefs or not.

Since it was a school night, the family couldn't stay long and left around eight-thirty. Both James and Sasha thanked them for dinner and having them over and told their children to do the same.

-- & --

Ben had his men's bible study first thing the next morning.

The guys had finished their study in Matthew and used the morning to just enjoy each other's company and check in with each other. They also discussed what the next study would be. They eventually agreed to do a book study on masculinity and what that should look like for men of faith.

Ben just about choked on his coffee when the topic was suggested and played it off as the coffee had gone down the wrong pipe when asked if he was okay.

One of the guys had been recommended a book by a close relative and was gonna read it on his own. He figured it was perfect timing since the group had finished the last study and the other guys agreed.

"Shouldn't we be studying from the bible?" Ben pointed out and emphasized the group they were in.

"Of course," Gabe said. "Doesn't mean we can't learn from other people's stories."