Chapter 23 - Rodney (Part 2)

Rodney stood, pushing the man back, and he fell onto his haunches

Rodney stood, pushing the man back, and he fell onto his haunches. Before the mage could recover, Rodney formed blades of light reminiscent of his master's and lunged for him. Flames clashed with his dark magic, spinning in a wide arc that disarmed and left him with a flame sword on the underside of his chin. Rodney begged for it to all be over, but the mage didn't inflict the final blow.

"I'm not going to kill you, Echo Silver. If you desire your end, turn around and walk back into Levisca."

The man motioned behind them, but Rodney didn't have it in him. Doing that would make him look like a traitor as much as a deserter. The only man who knew he hadn't fled was the mage here, the one who had surely felt the overwhelming power of the life spell that had dropped Rodney in the alleyway. His enemies would have no knowledge of how he'd escaped the fight, and he wouldn't die as a perceived coward at their hands.

"Why won't you kill me?" Rodney near begged. "You know who I am, so you understand my danger."

Rodney grabbed the man's arms in hopes that he'd retaliate, and while the man remained sharp to assess his threat, flame swords in hand, he did not push him away nor replace the blade at his throat. This man was powerful enough to best him. He'd parried his assault and cast him aside like a babe stumbling his first steps, and now he was allowing Rodney close not out of stupidity, but brash overconfidence that he could fend him off even in close combat.

"Well, for one, you're crying, and I know the Cinder's creed is to kick vampires especially when they're down, but it's not really my thing." The mage dropped his sword back into its magic and took a step into Rodney that had him watching the man's every move for intent. All the mage did was offer him a hand, and Rodney watched it with a complete lack of understanding.

"I'm Horus." The mage went so far as to touch Rodney's hand, place it in his, and shake it gently. "There is no way you're going to escape here on your own with the vampires on the outskirts of the fight watching for runners, but I know a few hidden mage tunnels that can sneak you out. Come on. You can stay at my place until you put yourself together."

Horus turned his back, a completely suicidal position for any mage, and Rodney flew at him. Horus Cinder turned just as Rodney filled the space at his back, a blade of dark magic pressed to the mage's throat, but Horus didn't even flinch.

"Do you have anything I can call you aside from Echo. Sorta tacky, honestly." Horus smiled, the living flames flickering in his eyes, and Rodney's hand trembled. The blade fell away, fading back into his dark magic, and Rodney dropped his face against Horus's neck. Blood pulsed against Rodney's face, and his fangs lengthened against the warm skin.

"Rodney," he gave his name as he wrapped his arms around Horus and locked his chin in place with a hand. It was a position that would force any mage to fight back, but Rodney didn't want him to. The warmth of the man's skin against his lips was euphoric as he breathed in his sharp, burnt scent and poignant cologne.