Chapter 31 - Vice (Part 1)

The evening went much like the rest of the day

The evening went much like the rest of the day. Forest Copse bandaged and healed Horus, all while he screamed in protest of Rodney's absence. Rodney needed blood to heal his injuries as much as rest, so there had been no option to keep them together. Not a reasonable one anyway. As much as Aaron or Rinslet wouldn't mind coming up to the rooms, a vampire knocked unconscious from injury woke with a ravenous lust for blood. It's was not something Rodney would want Horus to see, and Talamayas cared about his fledgeling enough to make sure that didn't happen.

Horus was earnest in his love for Rodney, but he did not understand everything about vampires. Neither did Helia. She wouldn't leave her brother's side, half because she thought he was going to burn the room down, and half because she worried Talamayas was going to burn them alive. Vice had wanted to assure Helia and Horus of their safety here, but then Pyre had woken.

Thankfully, Stone had slipped out of his arms shortly before, because Pyre nearly lit the place up with his rage when he realized they were in Sol territory. Kopje's presence should have indicated that earlier, but perhaps Pyre had been barely conscious and had not fully processed it. Vice was the one who'd brought Pyre to the Sols, so he'd been prudent about staying out of view to keep his head attached to his shoulders.

If two men could burn down a building just by staring in silence, it was Talamayas and Pyre.

It was worse when they spoke.

Pyre had a long list of demands, all of which were met with Talamayas' reputed hospitality. The first was Pyre leaving, which was denied with a smack from Kopje to Pyre's shoulder that had him tightening every muscle in his face and body to pretend he didn't want to scream in agony. Horus and Rodney were yet healed, so Pyre had conceded to not light them like birthday candles on a cake until his son was well enough to travel. Like Horus' wellbeing was the issue.

Pyre's second demand was to be kept in the dungeons, not to retain his pride as a mage general in enemy hands, of course not that. It was because the spell-lined cages were the safest place from the beasts of the castle, like Tala's people were just waiting around to beat an injured man to death for entertainment. If Vice hadn't had an invisible hand on Tala's chest, Tala would have snapped off Pyre's good arm near half a dozen times. Talamayas had settled for refusing because he didn't want to sully the dungeons with a pile of shit like Pyre.

If Kopje weren't frightened off the inevitable explosion between Pyre and Talamayas at any second, he likely would have been laughing his ass off. Vice caught Kopje's lips twitching upward when Talamayas spit his words in Pyre's face on more than one occasion. Pyre's final demand had been to have a room for privacy and protection because sleeping around monsters was intolerable. Pyre couldn't stand lying out on a bed in an open room that any vampire could walk into without so much as opening a door. Many of the castle doorways were just square holes since stone and sand made it difficult to drill hinges. Talamayas had promptly told him to stick it where the sun don't shine, but Kopje had insisted when it was keeping Pyre from proper rest.