Chapter 26 - Wren (Part 1)

Despite the years under Talamayas' thumb, Wren was in much better condition than he expected

Despite the years under Talamayas' thumb, Wren was in much better condition than he expected. Wielding his chains came with ease, and the magic within them rang powerfully in the air, the sweet melody of Song magic chiming for the death of his enemies. There was only so much he could do with chains without a target to strike at, but Riff wasn't concerned about his proficiency. Talamayas had used Wren to down his vampire enemies a few years before according to Riff, so the chains would come when called and populate with efficiency. That was before Talamayas had bound him completely, and Wren couldn't figure out why he had not killed Talamayas Sol then. Perhaps no opportunity had presented itself. Though Songs were exceptionally powerful with their chains, it only took one good strike from behind to knock him out if he had no one watching his back.

Riff and Wren instead worked on their physical combat, checking Wren's reflexes and strength in battle. In their years as sparring buddies, Wren had never triumphed over Riff, and today was no different. The dark magic flowing through Wren's veins made him quicker, stronger, and gave him better stamina, but Riff had animal instincts, telling him when to duck, dodge, and strike for the throat. By the time Riff was done with him, Wren was begging for mercy and rolling on the ground in sweat, bruised even beyond his increased ability to heal. The more Riff hit him, the slower he healed until his body could no longer catch up. So there was a limit to his rapid healing, which Wren imagined was what Riff had been trying to measure in beating him to ground meat.

Or at least Wren hoped that had been Riff's aim. With the dead look in Riff's eyes, Wren had wondered a time or two if he wasn't angry with him. Why wouldn't he be? Wren had faltered, fallen as a soldier and bowed to the enemy when he should have done everything to die before it got that far. Somehow Talamayas had controlled Wren, the leader of the Songs and the strongest of the chain wielders. Riff had every right to hate him.

Even so, Riff offered him a hand up as they finished for the day, and Wren accepted it gladly. His legs were wobbly, and he'd need to rest the night before they attacked at dawn. Unfortunately that wouldn't be for a while since they'd gone out a few miles to use their magic beyond other's notice. The hike back was crap, and Riff slapped the back of his thighs when he meandered too slowly. Riff had no off button for fighting, and practically ran him the whole way back. Wren promptly collapsed when they entered the corridors that lead around the desert city to their complex, and Riff tapped his toes impatiently.

"Go on ahead." Wren managed through gasps of breath, and Riff looked down on him disapprovingly. "It's not what you think. I can clearly still run a marathon." Wren's weak chuckle brought a twist of amusement to Riff's lips. "I just want a moment to myself to prepare mentally. I'll just be walking down the halls to the complex. Can you allow me that?"

"Sure." Riff gave him a stiff nod before he continued his run around the city. Riff hadn't looked like he wanted to leave, but it was quite common for Wren to retreat to his home alone to strengthen his mind before a battle, and Riff didn't want to jeopardize his focus.