Late night talking

A chapter inspired by Harry Styles's song.

------

Vampires had the inherent ability to talk among clan members through telepathy and to read humans' minds. Out of respect and politeness, they tried to always ask their peers for permission before entering their minds, and they're usually too uninterested in humans to monitor them unless it was a hunt. 

The remaining species could not do the same and they depended on vampires creating the link between minds in order to have that kind of conversation.

During their study sessions, Damien and Milo talked for hours - much more than the younger men think they ever did, even combining all those years. Damien usually avoided any contact, but now he was getting more comfortable showing his interest in the human world. He did not engage unless he was hunting. Also, Milo and Matt's reputation preceded them, and the vampire was curious about how they got to that point. The sorcerer, on the other hand, was putting an effort into being nicer to Damien. He still had resentment brewing in him, as he did not understand the man's motives and intentions, but he could not deny how helpful the vampire was being. As a thank you, he tried to answer the man's questions to the best of his abilities, unless it was too personal.

Damien spent the whole day avoiding him after Milo told Petr and Andrej about his previous relationship with Matt. That possessiveness made Milo crazy, so he chose not to look for the older one until he dealt with whatever scenario he had created.  He stuck to formulating new strategies or casting spells around the house.

The sorcerer had been lying on his bed for about an hour now, his mind divided between trying to understand the changing relationship with the coven - that was getting tighter, and more respectful, and Milo was almost beginning to trust them, causing him to be very confused and frustrated with himself - and trying to optimize his plans. 

He was struggling to fall asleep when he felt a slight pressure on his mind. 

He was no longer familiar with that feeling. It was like someone had touched his shoulder if his shoulder was his brain. He could tell it was Damien requesting his attention, almost as if he could smell the man - even though he was nowhere to be found, probably asleep in the room next to his. He hesitated for a bit, wondering if it was a good idea to allow access to his mind, and questioning if Damien would submit him to a rant about whatever jealous paranoia he had concatenated. In the end, Milo let him in. 

D: Sorry. Did I wake you?

M: Not really, I just didn't remember how this felt. Took me a while to understand what was happening. 

D: I forgot you and Matthew cannot do this. I could swear you read each other's minds, as the others and I do. 

M: Try spending an ungodly amount of time together. You look very close to Petr, can't you do it to him? Look at his face and know what he's thinking? 

D: I guess I do. I know how he reacts to things.

M: Exactly. I don't need to ask because I already have the answers. 

D: ...

M: Damien, why are you talking to me?

D: Couldn't sleep and I have more questions. 

M: If you called me at this hour to ask me again about the tequila ritual, I swear to goddess I'm going to your room and beat your ass up.  

Milo could sense that Damien had the light voice of someone who had laughed.