Alternatives

Matt was laying down on his bed, unable to sleep well ever since he heard Milo's recollection of their marriage. His own memories played in his mind, causing a warm sensation in his chest as he remembered the times he woke up next to a sleeping Milo next to him. Those were some of his happiest days yet, even though he always knew that his friend did not fully reciprocate his feelings. 

Her Milo say he'd not marry him again hurt. Yet, Matt wouldn't repeat the experience either - everything had its time, and theirs was long gone.

That was not what was bothering Matt, though. The memories keeping him awake were the ones of the years following their "divorce". He missed his friend so much it was like losing a limb. The feeling you had someone by your side for so many years, almost your whole life, and they're gone in a second. Sometimes he needed to stop himself writing to Milo, letting him know about his frustrations and achievements, asking the other one to do the same. Matt still felt the emptiness in his chest if he let himself think about it long enough. 

How did Milo dealt with that emptiness all the time? During all his days and nights? Why did I sentence him to this?

He could sense the time for his lies was up. The mere comprehension they'd have a very long time apart of each other made cold droplets of water run down from his neck to his pillow. How long did he had until Milo would not look at his face ever again? It was just a matter of time. His secrets, the sins he regreted the most, it was all about to be uncovered. 

Matt spent days and nights trying to find a solution that did not depend on Milo's spells, just so he wouldn't need to explain why Matt would be able to cast them, while Milo wouldn't. 

He looked over at the decorated ceiling, the complex chandelier hanging in the middle of the room. It would be less painful if that thing got lose and fell on top of him. He sighed. How many days until the attack? How much he would have to explain, and how much time he'd have to try and explain why he did it? 

Matt was not the one to face the consequences of his stupidity. 

-------------------------

- "Soooo... I have an idea". - Matt approached Milo as he sat on the armchair next to the young man. Petr was playing the piano and Milo, as well as the others, was listening as the sounds of his fingers on the keys seemed to reach something deep inside his soul. Matt did not care, excited about his idea.

Used to Matt simply barging in and ignoring their fights, discussions, or even the fact Milo was in the brink of tears due to the emotions the song caused in him, the young man looked at him, waiting. 

His excitement created a spark of hope in his chest, but Milo was in a foul mood that day. He questioned himself about why was Damien was lying to him about his memory. Or was he? He didn't understand that behaviour, but something was indeed off. Or maybe Damien was just pretending all that time to be nicer and protective of him to crack a joke. 

The vampire, who was also listening to the music but had his eyes closed, started listening to their conversation as soon as Matt got close to Milo. 

- "Everything I got on the pendulum points to the fact it was created almost at the same time as the werewolves. Shouldn't we reach out to them for help?"

- "That's a stupid idea". - Damien's tone was impacient. He had never gotten along with Matt, even before Milo, but this was the first time he was openly rude.

- "Do you have a better idea?" - Matthew's tone was similar to the older man's, without any patience for objections. He needed that to work, it was his only option. 

- "Than breaking into a wolf pack?! I don't think I ever had a worse idea. They don't mingle with anyone, how are you planning to reach their archives?"