2. Names and Numbers

"Oh, looks like you're not late at all." she says ;

Mon looked into the room, everybody was settled and talking among themselves. "Well, it just the professor hasn't arrived yet ; the class should have been started.. " she looked onto her watch " 3 minutes ago; so technically I am late.. "

"That doesn't count " she states.

Mon looks at her for a moment, She's leaning against the door frame in her grey sweatshirt and black pants ;

so casual yet so endearing. She's looking.. back at her? Oh! she was looking back at Mon as well.

Mon cleared her throat and said, "I should go inside, thanks again"

"Sure" she says raising her right hand gesturing towards the classroom.

Mon walkes into the class room , most of the seat was already occupied, only some at the front was vacant. She doesn't mind front seats so that wasn't a problem for her.

Everybody was busy talking about what they did on their summer break. Mon knows none of them. She spent most her summer vacations with her cousin Charlotte and the rest with Yuki; hunting for a good apartment to live. Yuki and her started off as roommates as they shared the same dorm room but they become fast friends. In the middle of their freshman year; when Yuki finally break things off with her long term boyfriend, they decideds to share a bottle of champagne as celebration. And let's say, they're best friends ever since.

Mon is friendly towards everyone but she still struggles to make actual friends. Her family used to move from places to places a lot, only to settle down 3 years back, Her mother is in US and her father in England. But in her growing years it was always 'a new place', 'a new school', 'new people' for Mon in every 2 or 3 years. She was always 'the New Girl'. So she never really had any actual friends. So having Yuki by her side is a blessing for her. She is cheerful, funny and very lively girl. Sometimes she talks a lot but whatever she's everything Mon needs in a friend, in her not so peaceful life.

During the summer, Mon's mother asked her to visit her thousands of time, her dad did too but he wasn't as persistent as her mother, of course! But Mon didn't listen ; she wasn't ready to meet her mother's... now fiancé. She met him when they just started seeing each other. That was different then but now it's difficult. She is not even ready to talk about it let along meeting them and she doesn't know if she'll ever be...

Mrs. Melanie finally walkes into the classroom breaking Mon from her train of thoughts and on her tails enters another person. The person she met no so long ago, the girl from the hallway. She was carrying a bag and other things..

"Thank You dear, you can put those things on that table" Mrs. Melanie says and the girl obliged . Oh ! she's carrying Mrs. Mel's belonging.

She says "Oh no need to thank me ma'am . It's the least I could do for my favourite professor" Flirt !!

"Very Flattering of you, Ms. Samanun ! " 'Samanun !' Mrs Mel commented " but I know you better" she smiles and patted the Girls cheek, " now why don't you go, take a sit and let me start the class? We're already late enough for today"

Sam smiles sheepishly for a moment then nods . She turns to her side and looks through the class room. Her gaze lands on Mon, their eyes meet again. They look at each other for a while, Mon notices that Sam's eyes shifts to the vacant sit beside her . She looks back at Mon and without breaking the eye contact she starts walking towards her. That Walk !! Their eyes contact breaks only when Sam reaches her seat and sit next to her and Mrs. Melanie start her class ...

.
.
.
.

"Now , I'm going to pass around a piece of paper. Please write your name on it, fold it into a tent, and place it visibly on your desk," Mrs. Mel says meandering around the room in between rows of desks and divvying out crisp sheets of white paper, "This will be your assigned seat for the rest of the quarter."

Sam passes Mon her paper. She takes it with polite smiles and starts writing her name.

" So Miss... ". she looks over at Mon's paper "Kornkamon.." and read out her full name. " We meet again huh...?? Oh my God !! Is it destiny ? " she says with fake zeal in her voice ; turning towards Mon putting both of her hands on her desk.

Mon rolls her eyes. She quirked an eyebrow at her "yeah You think ? "

"Of course, I mean.. for starters you couldn't find your destination.." she raises her index made a circle indicating the class " and in attempt to find that hurriedly you loose you balance ; only to be saved by this delightful lady " she points at herself, Mon rolls her eyes on that too "with whom you actually share the class. And guess what she sitting right next to you, and will be beside you for the rest of the quarter!! So what else it could be?" She finishes with an amusing look in her face ; like she couldn't believe it herself.

"Well, the detailed description sounds more like a cheesy rom-com movie than actual destiny." Mon comments.

"Oh I love cheesy Rom-Com movies!" Sam says with same enthusiasm in her voice.

' Now, why isn't that surprising ! ' Mon thinks and chuckles to herself "Yeah, Ms. Samanun . Sure you do..!" She says.

"Ohh I see you already know my name ... now All you need to know is my phone number !! " she says cheekily , wiggling her eyes brows..

Okay! thats a good one, she has to give that to her. Still Mon glares at her and turns back to her seat; looking at the board, she hears a chuckle as response of her glare.

Thankfully Mrs. Melanie speaks again and she doesn't have to say anything any further. She gives her full attention to the professor and what she's saying. And it looks like Sam does the same which Mon was thankful for. The rest of the class passess without any other conversation between them.

"We will meet soon Ms. Kornkamon " at the end of the class Sam says.

"Looks like I don't have any other options, Do I?" Mon asked nonchalantly .

"Oh you absolutely don't ! " She gives Mon a toothy grin; flashing her gummy smile and makes her way out of the class.

Hmm. It seems like this is going to be an Interesting year!

📔📔

_______________________

A.N :

I would like to shed light on the fact that This is an Alternate Universe (AU), so the characters are the same but their characteristics and their dynamics are a little different. I hope nobody will have to face much difficulties to adapt with that.

Again English is not my first language , also I'm a fairly new writer. So please be kind and try to look past the mistakes.

Also shout out to my dear friend Sunidhi Verma, who actually pushed me into writing my own story.

I heard voting helps stories to reach more people. So if you like the story then please vote and leave a comment. Word or encouragement helps a motivates us to write better.

Thank you 🌻