Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six- The Difference Between Light and Dark

Avelina Greywater cocked her head to the side, examining the woman who sat beside her. 

"If you continue to stare at me, I will throw you out of this car." She snapped, eyes blazing as she glared at the red headed heir. 

Avelinas face turned cherry red. "Sorry."She mumbled, scooting closer to the door. 

Markarious had let her stay in the car because "They didn't have time to return strays back where they belonged." 

Avelina took some offence to that statement, causing the other man who was much older than any of them to laugh. His laugh had been harsh and Avelina had been tempted to cry. If she had done that she was sure Gabriella would have left her right there in the parking  lot. 

She learned that the older guy, who had a bun of dark hair and a finely trimmed beard was a shifter, Atlas. The other man with the blonde buzzed hair was a vampire named Callum. He was rather quiet unless annoyed facial expressions counted as talking. 

Each had their own agenda for tagging along that Avelina had yet to discover. 

"So, where are we stopping at next?"  Avelina asked pressing against Gabriella, nudging herself in the middle of the console between both front seats. 

Gabriella grunted in annoyance at her and pushed her away. 

Avelina frowned at the woman sinking back into her seat. "You don't have to be rude." She commented. 

"And you don't have to be annoying but yet you are." 

Avelinas eyebrows knitted together in frustration. 

"Our next stop isn't until 3am." 

Avelina groaned, sliding down her chair dramatically. 

"I'm hungry." She whined. 

Callum tossed something at her that ungracefully smacked her in the face. "Hey!" She yelped, retrieving the item. It was a small granola bar that she frowned at. 

"It's better than nothing." Markarious said from the driver's' seat.  

~

Exiting the vehicle at a rundown motel in the human world was not what Avelina expected. The room smelled of stale sheets and old cleaner. She rubbed her nose, wrinkling it in distaste. The blankets were rough and scratchy, dust and filth hidden in the corners of the room forgotten to be cleaned. 

Avelinas lips failed to turn into a smile, the disgust not leaving her face as Gabriella kicked off her boots and threw herself onto the bed. The old mattress whined from the weight as she laid her head on the flattened pillow, a knife gripped in her hand. 

Avelina sat on the edge of the bed opposite of her before opting for the wooden chair in the corner. It was just as uncomfortable, if not more but at least it appeared clean. 

The others had another room beside them. 

"Why did you come?" Gabriella asked, lifting her neck some to look at Avelina curiously. The dull red sheets, causing her white hair to look even more unnatural. 

"I wanted to help." 

Gabriella let out a snort. "Sure but what else besides that." 

Avelina opened her mouth in dismay. "There is no other reason." She replied defensively. 

"Oh, so the privileged nephilim princess doesn't want to run away and experience the world or chase after a boy?" Gabriella grinned wickedly and Avelina gaped at her. The heir flared her nose at the woman. "And what of you? You're a dark fallen helping the daughter of the one who leads the light fallen."

Gabriella's eyes shone with an emotion unreadable before she snapped. "There are no more dark and light fallen, princess." She sneered. 

Avelina narrowed her eyes at the woman. "Now whos lying?"

"There are no longer dark fallen, its just the fallen."

"No, the light fallen are still led by my father and I know that because I was raised being trained by one of them." She replied back. 

"Yes, your father still considers the difference between light and dark fallen. We are pesants in his eyes. But we are no longer the same as we used to be."

Avelina glared at Gabriella. "And you think that saying that makes you any different? Your kind tried to kill my mother." 

Gabriella rolled her eyes, sitting up some. "My kind was a man who was in charge years ago. He is now dead and buried. The only difference between your the light and dark fallen now is whether or not they are worthy enough to be considered light." She snarled. 

Avelina pressed her lips shut to her response, her mind spiraling. Her parents had told her the story of how the leader of the dark fallen was in love with her mother. He even was considered her special, if she had accepted to be with someone as wicked as him. But she had been assured that Hope Greywater was destined and paired by the creator to be with Ashered.

Avelina stared at Gabriella, wordlessly before the woman reached for the lamp and tugged on it hard enough that the light chord broke off, covering the room in darkness. 

"The only reason you're here, Avelina is because it would be too much of a hassle to take you back and we don't have time to wait around if we want to win this upcoming battle."

Avelina didn't say anything as she heard the crinkly covers shift. 

"And if you try anything, heir or not I will slit your throat."

Avelina wondered if she could see her face pale in the darkness as Gabriella chuckled darkly. 

~

Avelina barely slept, jumping at every noise and even did so as she stepped into the room. She was fresh out of the shower, water dripping from her hair as she turned to face Markarious. 

She yelped, covering the stale smelling towel tighter around herself. 

"What are you doing in here?" She squeaked looking past him to the empty bedroom. 

"Gabriella went for a jog and I can't have you left alone. If you get injured it will be my responsibility."

Avelina felt her cheeks redden as she snatched one of the shabby robes and held it over her front in addition to the towel. 

"I'll let you get dressed now." He said nonchalantly, not looking any further than her eyes. 

Avelina couldn't find any words as he passed her a folded pair of clothing. "Wear this, you'll look more human and not like you just walked out of a tv show."

"Tv show?"

"I forget you don't know the human world." He said gently. 

Avelinas face felt hot and she cleared her throat, taking the clothes from Markarious's hands. 

Her hands grazed his and her heart lept some at the contact. She had always had a crush on him, since she was young and here she was standing in front of him nearly naked. Her eyes widened, she wasn't wearing any clothing and she was standing in front of him! 

The horror of the situation dawned on her and she snatched the clothes, shouting a 'thank you' dramatically before shutting herself back into the bathroom.