Chapter Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine- The Kings Kingdom

Evander spent the remainder of the evening showing her his lands. Market town was a busy area full of cobblestone roads and stray farm animals roaming about. There were magical beings of all kinds, each territory coming to meet as one, much like Goldmoon. Elwyn blinked at the complexity. Goldmoon had rarely any humans, but here there were many, mingling with shifters, fae, elves, vampires and every other being. 

"You have humans here?" Elwyn had asked. Evander had nodded, raising a brow at the question. "Should I not?"

Elwyn opened her mouth and closed it. "No-I- I don't know." She admitted. 

"Where did they come from?" 

"There was a time when the darkness that plagues us now, tore open the human world into ours. Once she was locked away, not all wished to go back and so I let them stay, as my father did and his father."

Elwyn chewed her lip in thought. "Why haven't we heard of this?" 

Evander's expression darkened. "Because in Goldmoon, the city governs itself. There a hierarchy was made based on what you were, not what you did, not money or riches, but species."

Elwyn's throat ran dry. She didn't know how to answer that, she had been confined to the palace training grounds. 

She licked her lips and studied the setting before her. Doors were opened with various shops, ranging from potions to vegetables, clothing and furniture. A specific store being ran by a human female. Her brown hair was pulled into a clip, hands splattered in wet paint that she wiped onto her apron. She wore an exquisite purple dress that made the tanned skin stand out vibrantly. She was smiling broadly, painted hands coloring her white apron with more vitality. 
"Hello, Evander! Care for another painting?" Elwyn studied the girl and the way she addressed Evander, bristling at the lack of formality. 
"Not today, but soon, Lila." Elwyn felt irritation spark at her fingertips and folded her hands behind her back, stamping out the flame that began to ignite. 

Evander smiled at the girl and pulled her into a hefty hug. Elwyn felt that flame gleam against her palm. 

Lila turned to her and wrapped Elwyn into a hug before she could so much as flinch. She pulled away and smiled at her. "You must be her." Elwyn gave her a puzzled look and she laughed lightly. 

"Evander's mate." Elwyn stiffened, glancing at the king. He smiled gently at her, a hint of sadness evading his eyes. 

"I never said that, Lila." He chastised.

Lila waved a painted hand at him, rolling her eyes. "She has been the only one you ever talk about to River." 

Elwyn's expression remained one of confusion and Lila placed her hands on her hips, turning to Evander. "Evander Kane, did you not tell her of us."

Evander's cheeks tinted pink, the only indication of slight embarrassment. 

"I've been busy...with other things."

Lila scoffed at him and peeked her head into the brick building. "Riv, Evander's here." 

A loud set of footsteps echoed, the equivalent to running and out peered a young male, around the females age. He was drastically different than Lila, he had dark skin, wispy curly locks the color of night. His green eyes slid to Elwyn's assessing her. 

Elwyn bristled at his long stare before he turned to Evander. "You finally made it around." He grinned, giving Evander a firm handshake/ hug that males seemed so accustomed to. 

Evander laughed deeply and Elwyn balked at the sound. It was dark and soothing like the night sky. The sound ran along her spine and right into the beating red in her chest. 

Elwyn found her lips pulling into a small smile at the sound. 

Evander raised his brows at her and gave her his own smile. Elwyn again blinked at the action. She hadn't seen much other than bruteness on his handsome face. Elwyn stomach tumbled with unknown feelings as she realized she could very easily get used to seeing his smile, to hearing the music that was his laughter. 

After a moment of talking and Lila showing them the various works she had on easel, they departed the whimsical store, Lilacs River a testimonial to the couples love for their shop.

Once they finished a long walk through market town, Evander took her through a trail between the roadways. The path through the vibrantly colored woods opened up to rows of homes, apartments and houses. Some houses were clustered together, others miles apart. It was a entire village of homes. 

"This is the district." Elwyn paused, listening. There was the calling of crickets as dusk began to settle and the warm hues washed over children being called home. 

"This is where everyone that is not a wolf lives. As pack animals, we like to live close, others however, like their space." Evander said the last part with a small quirk of his mouth. 

Elwyn cocked her head to the side, studying him as he began to walk ahead of her. A sea of fireflies fluttered between them, blinking light. Elwyn looked far beyond The District, at the crested grey mountain. It seemed to deflect any light and a darkness pulsed through the land from it. 

Elwyn stiffened at the newfound feeling and met Evander's watching eyes. "What is that?" 

"Prison Town." Elwyn wet her dry lips. "Why is it like that?" She didn't explain how it made her feel, he knew. "It was here before my ancestors. There are legends but that is all. What we  know is it traps whoever enters and nothing can free them of its reign."

"Except you."

Evander jaw tightened in conformation. "It is a dark place, but yes, now, that I am king I can open and close the cells."

Elwyn watched Evander as he dug his hands into his pockets and turned back the way they came. "That's enough for today." He said gruffly. 

Elwyn pursed her lips. She had a feeling there was more to the story than he let on. 

Evander glanced back at her with a warning look. "If you want to know my ailments, then you share yours. 

Elwyn stiffened, her back seared in response. Her long hair swished in the wind, revealing her scars to him. She didn't think he would notice. 

Elwyn found herself glaring daggers at him. " I don't have any ailments to share." She snapped, brushing past him. She strode forward, head held high, trying not to flinch beneath his heavy gaze. 

She didn't look at him once as she headed back to the castle. 
They walked in silence, him a comfortable distance away and she said not one word to the king.