Chapter Sixty Two

The pale early morning light startled me awake, and when I searched my room with bleary eyes and found Edward staring at me from over the top of a book. He sat on my window seat, the soft light curling around him, and upon further investigation I found that the book was none other than the sixth book of the mortal instruments series. A smirk grew on my face as I stretched and sat up. "Finally finishing it?" I teased.

"You didn't tell me the author was going to do this." He looked like he was about to cry, and I knew exactly where he was in the book. Some part of my heart broke, perhaps it was the part I kept for fictional characters. I knew what emotional journey he was embarking upon, and I knew he would see the deeper meanings in the text.

"I'm very firm in my belief of a spoiler free experience." I felt the soft smile slowly creep onto my face. If I didn't already love this man, I would swear I was falling in love again.

"But to completely sponge the details from your mind before I read it!?" He shook his head in disbelief, dropping the book I to his lap. "You're a madwoman." If I didn't know any better, I would swear he looked impressed.

"Your madwoman." I gave a broader smile, moving to exit the bed. The moment my feet touched the wooden floor I yelped in surprise and pulled my bare toes back from the ice cold surface. "Nevermind. I can flirt from over here. It's cold."

"Every time I tried to turn off the air conditioner you would violently curse in your sleep at me." Edward raised a brow as if telling me I was in this position from my own obstinacy. I however, vaguely recalled the sleepy memory of my bedroom's personal AC making its power down sound.

"Did I really call you a rat nosed bastard?" I asked as I scratched the back of my neck. "Or was that one just a thought?"

He then lowered his brow and cast a dubious look at me. "You did more than say it, you yelled it. Maddie started barking at me for that one."

"Oopsie!" I shrugged playfully. "In my defense, the air felt wonderful from inside my den of covers."

"You sound like Ishmael." Edward teased, removing the book from his lap and closing it tenderly before placing it on the cushion beside him. "Will you be knocking people's hats off next?"

"Who says I haven't started?" I smirked and grabbed my phone from the nightstand. "Though I don't think I have it in me to one v. one a whale. I don't care how angry I am."

Edward then began to eye me skeptically, leaning forward and placing an elbow on his knee as he studied me like a work of art. "Did you actually read Moby Dick?" His voice was playful but his eyes were sharp and focused, studying me like I was about to reveal a grand secret he hadn't happened across in the nearly three years we had known one another.

"I skimmed it. I just needed to pass that one test anyway." I shrugged. "Huck Finn, however!" I smiled playfully. "I would never disgrace my eyes with that text again."

"Yeah, yeah!" Edward waved his hand through the air, clearly amused with my little jab at the classics. "You go shower, I will make your breakfast." He stood, the overcast light from the window softening his sharp edges like he was made of watercolors.

"Are you calling me stinky?" I placed my hand to my chest as if I were clutching my pears in offense.

"I'm calling you grass stained," he chuckled, "you still have the meadow on you, and Gaia will be here in a few hours so you can go shopping." As he spoke the words, his phone let out the indignant sound of a message. I knew it was indignant because the timing of such a chime could mean only one person. Edward fished the phone out of his pocket and looked down at the screen. "Alice."