02. | pork soda.

CHAPTER TWO;
a long time friend

chapter title taken from the song by: glass animals

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Having connections was a very important thing, and the [L/n]'s understood that better than most ever since their fall from grace—which was many hundred years ago, of course, but that was beside the point.

[Y/n] didn't understand much on how it exactly happened, but his grandfather had a special connection to the Zenin Clan, rooted from a contract they had made years ago, or so [Y/n] was told.

And because of that, both clans had thought it best to join together, to strengthen their hold on one another via an arranged marriage—the usual stuff.

Utterly delightful.

At first, when he heard the news, barely seven years old, [Y/n] thought he was going to be engaged, to be married off in the future, hand in hand with a Zenin.

But he was wrong.

That fate was given to his half-sister instead, who engaged to the young boy by the name of Naoya, the so-called future heir of the Zenin clan.

And, Naoya was, well, he's kind of uhh...

"I can't believe this is how you spend your time. You came all the way from your clan just to read some stupid book," a loud, boisterous voice snapped him away from his thoughts, belonging to none other than Naoya himself.

In response to his comment, [Y/n] delivered a pointed look as he stayed still, sitting down reclined on the tatami mat with the afternoon wind blowing on his hair from the open window.

Naoya clicked his tongue in distaste. "Well?"

Not wanting to deal with any more childish behavior from the other, [Y/n] silently redirected his attention back to the book.

"Oi."

Sensing that he wouldn't be getting a reply, Naoya chose to scoot over to his location, peering over his shoulder with curious eyes. "What the? This is so boring. Why the hell did you choose this over training with me?!" Naoya whined directly into his ear.

[Y/n] breathed in and out, letting out a tiny exhale of frustration.

The two of them were the same age, and yet [Y/n] remained utterly baffled as to how childish Naoya could be, always in a hurry to get whatever he wanted, no matter the cost.

And [Y/n] knew, he knew and remembered that Father told him to stay put, to not put the two clan's relationship in jeopardy, but this guy—

"You're as annoying as ever, Zenin. But guess some things just won't ever change, huh?" he said with a strained smile.

Naoya blinked once, twice, before anger flashed across his face. "How dare you!"

Not giving Naoya the satisfaction of an actual response, he only huffed in reply, eyes returning back to the boring book.

Naoya gave him a small huff in reply as well, plunging the room into a long silence. The other boy made no move to scoot away, though, instead resting his head on his shoulder.

Well, [Y/n] could at least deal with that.

A silent Naoya was the best kind of Naoya, a stark difference from the usual annoying, self-absorbed, and selfish boy he always had to deal with.

They were both future heirs of their respective clans; he actually had no idea how Naoya was going to inherit anything with that personality of his━and thus they must maintain a harmonious relationship with each other.