10. | don't go insane.

— 𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆 taken from: dpr ian

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The weather was nothing short of perfection. The summer sky stretched a bright blue, uninterrupted by a single wisp of white clouds.

Under the warm light of the hanging sun, he could hear the high-pitched whines of the cicadas, the crying birds from above, and most of all the incoming swing of the sword in front of him.

A harsh clang resounded as two swords met in the middle of the outdoor training area, metal against metal.

Dangerous tools for most children to use, that's for sure. But what do sorcerers care for if not for results? Besides, he handled it with ease.

Naoya winced as he dropped the sword on the ground, too heavy for him to keep up in his fight against the [h/c] boy in front of him.

"You're doing too many unnecessary moves, kid," Toji's voice drawls from the distance, monotonous and bored.

A pair of [e/c] eyes flickered to the dark-haired man sitting on the engawa. "You talking to me or him?" he asked while his friend ran excitedly to the man.

"Toji-san!" Naoya shouted with glee, even when his father advised him to stay away from Toji—the black sheep of the Zenin family—specifically.

"What are you doing here? What do you think of my skills, Toji-san?" Naoya hurriedly asked, not even letting Toji answer his first question.

[Y/n] rolled his eyes and picked up the other sword from the ground with his otherwise unoccupied hand.

"Just passing by, little cousin. Your skills could use some heavy work," Toji answered, a touch sardonic.

Blind to the tone used, Naoya smiled instead and animatedly said, "Then you should teach me!"

[Y/n] slowly walked to them and put down the two swords he carried on the wooden flooring of the engawa. Toji's eyes flickered to him, swimming with vague interest.

"You're not so bad, brat. The sword's too heavy for you but you managed just fine," Toji praised with slightly upturned lips.

"Thanks."

Naoya crossed his arms, a pout on his small lips. "The sword was too heavy! In a real sorcerer fight, I would've had better chances of actually fighting."

Well, Naoya wasn't really wrong about that fact. The cursed technique he possessed was a unique thing. It proved tricky for his opponents to get a hit on him, especially if they couldn't adapt quickly enough.

There's a slightly dark look Toji was aiming at Naoya, but he didn't know whether or not his friend noticed it at all.

He wouldn't blame the older Zenin at all for such a look, Naoya was very annoying.

Especially annoying, added by the fact that Naoya had been following Toji around since two weeks ago like a lost puppy.

'You've seen him too right, [Y/n]?! I can't believe he's actually so strong! Honestly, I thought he'd be miserable and weak given his circumstances. But it's the exact opposite!'

Naoya gushed about Toji for hours after their first meeting, going on and on about how he wanted to be as strong as him.

And really he just wished it would stop after that, but no. Naoya continued to gush about his stronger cousin so much that, to be honest, he was getting quite sick of hearing the word 'Toji-san'.

Pick a new topic please, Naoya.

"Heh. In a real sorcerer fight, you'd probably die, kid. There'd be no next time for you," Toji warned with a blank expression on his face.