21. | famous last words.

— 𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆 taken from: dpr ian

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Domain Expansion, the text inside the book read, is the most supreme technique of any jujutsu user. Achieved by expanding one's innate domain with cursed energy, using a barrier to construct it inside a separate space.

Mastering such a technique would be an extreme challenge, and most of the time, it was something that most high-level sorcerers were never able to master.

He sighed, casually flipping to another page.

The boy beside him immediately clicked his tongue in annoyance, leaning further into his space, much to his dismay. "I haven't even finished reading it yet. Go back to the other page, [Y/n]!" Naoya whined into his ear.

"Shut up and read faster then, Naoya," he snapped.

He brushed off the constant whining—a nuisance he'd grown accustomed to since spending his time around the Zenin family—and delved back into the pages of the open book.

The next page was littered all over with instructions, mostly being vague insights. How to cast a Domain Expansion. How to maintain a Domain. Countermeasures against a Domain. And, not to be forgotten was, of course, the drawbacks of casting a Domain Expansion.

How harrowing.

Narrowing his eyes, he traced his fingers along the page, repeating the consequences inside his head. If he had to be honest, the more he read, the more this thing seemed like a death wish.

Something to resort to when death had already cast its shadow. Something akin to a last-ditch effort. A desperate move, a final act of defiance, a parting gift to leave before succumbing to the inevitable.

In the current state he was in, he doubted he would actually be able to use such a thing, much less do it without fucking up the blood vessels inside his head.

He hummed, thumbing the paper in his hand. "Hey, Naoya."

"What?" the boy asked back with a scowl, clearly still miffed from being ignored.

He lifted the book slightly, tilting his head toward it as he questioned, "Which of us do you think would be able to do a Domain Expansion first? Me or you?"

Naoya blinked. "Wow. Already thinking that far ahead, huh," he remarked after a beat of silence. An arrogant smile quickly took over. "It's going to be me, of course. It's obvious enough, don't you think? The question didn't even need to be asked."

How arrogant of Naoya. Just as usual.

"You say some pretty stupid stuff, huh?" he scoffed, shaking his head at the boy.

It was a welcome relief, truth be told. Better to be here, enduring the constant whining and ramblings of his one very idiot friend, than to be trapped in the suffocating circumstances at home.

Averting his gaze back to the book, he continued, "It's kind of funny you say that, considering you lost to me in a training match just two days ago. Isn't that right, Naoya-kun?"

"Shut it. You definitely cheated!"

"Hm? I definitely didn't. You're just being a sore loser, as usual." He could practically see the fumes coming out of Naoya's ears at this point.

Truly, what a joyful sight to behold. He doubted he'd grow tired of it anytime soon. It's always a wonderful pastime of his to annoy Naoya. It felt very refreshing to irritate this little menace to society.