CHAPTER THREE

"What the-"

"What the-"

I stared at the sight in my balcony contemplating my next moves for a moment. On the other side of the glass stood a very tall and muscular man.

How did I know about his muscles, if you ask? I might have left out the adjective shirtless. His black track pants covered his long legs as he stood barefoot on my balcony.

I lived on the fourth floor of the building. If he had not apparate, he must have jumped here from the adjacent balcony. So, I was finally meeting my elusive neighbor. I was jarred out of my thoughts when he made the first move. He pointed at the lock with a small smile on his face.

I shook my head, not taking my eyes off him, not even blinking. His smile widened. He raised his arms and made a slow turn. He showed me his bare hands and mouthed, "Please."

Okay, fine, he was not armed, but that did not mean I could let him in.

All the comments I have heard about him started running through my head

"He is a good—for—nothing."

"He doesn't have any job."

"... drinks all day."

"Have girls over..."

Most of these I had overheard from conversations between my mother and her friends or my mother and father. It did not leave a good impression of him. But all this while there had been a wall between us, and now he stood in front of me.

I could either open the door and let him in or shut the curtains and pray that he went away. He would hopefully get the message and get back to his apartment, which was only possible by jumping over the narrow gap between our adjacent balconies.

In short, I could choose to be safe or risk his life. I was a cautious optimist.

I warily slid open the door, the still running drill in my hand, ready to go all Rapunzel on his ass.

"Any funny moves and I will drive this through you," I threatened menacingly and, yet took a step back. Mixed signals, anyone.

"Yes, that is exactly why I came over, risking my life and jumping balconies four floors high. Boo!" He chuckled as if what I suggested was ridiculous, his dimples flashing. He plopped on the sofa, making himself comfortable by spreading his arms on the edges.

"You have a nice house," he commented, taking in the room, all relaxed.

I stared at him with an open mouth. Who was this creature that had walked into my living room? And how was I supposed to get rid of him?

I opened and then closed my mouth a few times, searching for something to say. He grinned at my visible discomfort and walked over to the wall I was working on. He plugged the machine out of the socket and tried to take the drill machine from my hands. I tugged it back.