CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I should have known that Rishabh was not the one to make false promises

I should have known that Rishabh was not the one to make false promises. He came through and by the following afternoon, a confirmatory email landed in my inbox.

Our party hall is booked for your party for the evening of November twelfth. Please contact us for further instructions on the food and decor.

Besides sending a quick happy birthday text to Kashish, I didn't get a moment to look at my phone on her birthday. The morning went on confirming if her friends and relatives would be arriving. The afternoon went in making sure the restaurant was ready for the big night.

It wasn't going to be that much of a surprise. She knew there was going to be a party but when, where, and how big was going to be a surprise.

Last night she had called me to ask if I would like to join them at the parlor to get ready. I turned them saying that I was busy. I could tell that they thought it was an excuse, as I had used it way too many times before. But this time it was the truth. 

With my stomach grumbling, I draped on a navy blue saree and silver jewelry. The saree was from my graduation but it was pretty. And the only one I had. I left my hair open but still took a hair tie if I wanted my hair up.

Around seven, when I stepped out of my house, I was met with an unexpected sight. Since he had made the booking, I knew that he knew about the occasion and also that I would be going there. He must have been waiting for me.

Rishabh stood by the lift, leaning against the wall. He had on a baby blue shirt with a dark blazer that was totally overkill and yet my heart skipped a bit. We were unwittingly matching. His hair fell all around his face and I wanted to push them away. His tie had loosened a bit. I imagined walking over and tightening it, taking a whiff in the process.

His question brought me back to reality. "Can I come with you?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to figure out his endgame. For a moment I entertained the idea of saying no But from his attire and the gift partially hidden behind him, he was not going to take it lying down.

"You are not invited."

"Come on, we can talk on the way. I will drop you." Of course, that did not deter him.

"It is five minutes away. I have called a cab."

"I can do with five minutes."

Now that he was giving me the opportunity to talk I could not deny that I did have a question for him. Did he suffer from split personality disorder? Then I would loosen my hands around his neck so that he could answer me.

"Karishma?" I was broken out of my imagination of strangling him when he called out to me.

Once I regained my senses, I signaled him to take the stairs, in case, my mother decided to come outside for some inane reason.