CHAPTER TWENTY

With eyes swollen and a red nose, it was assumed that Rishabh would let me go easy, but nope, that did not happen

With eyes swollen and a red nose, it was assumed that Rishabh would let me go easy, but nope, that did not happen. Before I could slip back in, I was given homework.

Write a list of activities and things that make me happy and send them to him.

I scrunched up my nose as I opened my door and gave him a backward glance. I wanted to wrinkle my nose and say no to that elementary activity, but I did not. The man was wearing my tears and snot, I could hardly deny him.

Karishma's Happy List
Books
Shopping
Chocolates
Clear cloudless sky (clouds are okay if they are interesting looking or moving)
Swings
Spending time with friends
Fairy lights
Flowers
Dresses
Massage/spa (never had one but would like to try)
Sleeping in
Hot chocolate/coffee
Write a book
Learn to drive
Pie (could not decide on a flavor because I have never tried any)
Try bruschetta
Spending time with Rishabh

I spend a minute on volleying between deleting or not deleting the last item. I had just admitted so to him an hour back but writing it down felt like issuing a challenge to the universe. Hey, I finally have something that makes me happy. See if you can take it away.

In the end, I left it as it was and renamed the list to 'Karishma's Happy List/ Things that Karishma thinks makes her happy.' It started as a happy list and then kind of morphed into a bucket list.

R: That's all?

K: Diamonds are not this girl's best friends.

K: Though I would not say no to some

K: Just kidding.

I knew my list was pathetic. Fresh tears filled my eyes as I was writing my bucket list. Buying clothes that I like, ordering a dish that I have always wanted to try, and everything else was a bare minimum. Despite setting the bar on the ground, being happy was a chore.

In that ten minutes it took me to whip up that list, I realized something else. I never had any hobbies or told my about interests, if asked, as I was too scared to identify them. Listing them would mean that I knew what made me happy but fear, fear always came in the way. Fear of the consequences, fear of the cost, fear that the happiness will be too flitting.

Over the days, months, and years I had snubbed my own fire and shivered in the cold and dark. And then he came like the winter sun. Warm and infinite.

**************

The next morning was difficult, to say the least.

After a night of crying my eyes were swollen and it felt as if I had wool in my head. I would have really done without the hour-long lecture of my mother listing all the ways I had failed as a daughter.