CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

It was pretty early in the morning when I slipped out of my room

It was pretty early in the morning when I slipped out of my room. The property that I had earmarked had a last-minute opening. It was far away from the city, so even though I had an appointment in the afternoon, I had to leave early.

"Why are you up so early?" In the darkened room, I had failed to notice that I wasn't alone. I jumped out of my skin at that unexpected voice and then turned around to face its owner.

Rishabh leaned against the doorframe of his room, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, head ruffled from a night of sleep. His broad chest was covered by a white vest. The same one I was inches away from the last time saw each other and I felt myself getting warmer with each passing second.

We somehow managed to keep out of each other's way by catching up on our work in our respective rooms. Our fight seemed to have come to a stalemate.

I cleared my throat and answered him, "I have an appointment. It is far away so I need to leave early."

"Not on your own, you are not. Wait here I will come with you."

"What? Just because I will be with a man I will be safe?" I scrunched up my nose in distaste. I survived well enough with a man in my for almost ten years.

"No, you will be safe because I will be with you. Now stay here. I will come back soon." After ordering me he disappeared back into his room.

For a minute I entertained the idea of making a run for it but discarded it as he would eventually need to see the property to approve it.

"Ready?" he asked, putting on a jacket. It was chilly this morning and it would get cold by the time we returned. I had on a simple cotton tunic and leggings. A shrug protected me from the morning chill. I ran back into my room to pack a hoodie.

The resort was located near a pottery community. I was planning to make a stop there to purchase some of the decorations for the party as well as some personal souvenirs.

But now that I had the party's host with me I also hoped to finalize the list of guests.

"Do we absolutely have to?" he groaned as he cruised the car on the empty road, throwing his head back onto his seat.

"Why are you even hosting this party if you don't want to?" I asked, expecting this roadblock.

"I have my reasons," he said cryptically. I shrugged off his secrecy. What was it to me? I was getting paid nevertheless.

"We could talk instead?" he prompted. Whatever gave him the idea.

"Hard. Pass," I rolled my eyes. "So tell me who all should I invite? The company's owners for sure, I am guessing."

"My parents," he nodded.

"You work for your parents?" I asked him, surprised even though it shouldn't have been one. Abhay had mentioned that the founder's son had approached him to plan the party. However, once I saw it was Rishabh I had forgotten that tidbit entirely.