CHAPTER FOURTY

"I am not sharing a bed with you

"I am not sharing a bed with you. You take the sofa," I thrust a finger towards the living room, getting agitated with each passing minute.

"I am not taking the sofa when there's a perfect bed right here," Abhay rolled his eyes and then folded his arms across his chest, staring at me obstinately.

"I don't want to spend the night in the same room as you." I mirrored his stance.

We had gone to a nearby temple after sunset and then had dinner at a neighboring restaurant. And now, after returning to the hotel room, we stood in our pajamas in the middle of my room arguing about the sleeping arrangements.

"Why don't you want to sleep in the same bed as me?" Abhay's question came out more like an accusation.

"We aren't the only ones here." I flushed hating to have to say this aloud. "It won't look good, sharing a bed."

"We are going to get married. And it's none of his business." He rolled his eyes hard.

"But we are not. Not now."

"Is everything okay here?" Rishabh's head popped through the ajar door. I got a sense of deja vu. It was like he had a sensor that went off every time Abhay and I had an argument anywhere in his vicinity.

It was annoying.

Before I could shoo him off Abhay stepped around me.

"Let me ask you something," Abhay started. "Do you mind if Karishma and I share the bed?"

I bristled at how he had worded his question.

"No, not really," Rishabh shook his head and didn't take the bait, walking further into the room. "As long as Karishma is comfortable."

I turned my glare to him for placing the spotlight on me. Reading my eyes, Rishabh suggested, "You can share the room with me. There's plenty of space."

I felt my eyes widened in panic. He couldn't genuinely want that.

"No offense, Rishabh," Abhay gave him a sheepish smile, "but I think you would be more comfortable sharing a bed with Karishma than me."

"What?!" The word from my mouth came shrill and high pitch while Rishabh blinked a few times, stunned.

My mind flashed an image of me curled up in Rishabh's arms. I shook my head hard to get it out. Not the time, not the place.

Abhay raised his arms in surrender. "Considering your interest in guys."

I groaned lowly, rubbing a hand down my face.

"I am-," Clearing his throat Rishabh continued, "I am not gay."

"Oh." Abhay blinked.

"Yeah," Rishabh replied while I kept my eyes fixed on the floor. This was getting way too awkward.