CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

After finishing and picking up a piece of cake for his driver, we took the escalator to reach the ground floor

On the second floor, my eyes fell upon the bookstore. Okay, my eyes might have fallen on it just then but the shop was in my mind constantly. If Rishabh had not entered the clothing store, I would have definitely guessed the bookstore was our destination.

We had already spent so much time here so I was a bit hesitant in asking him to stop here for some more time. Looked like I would have to make a solo trip here later.

I was expecting us to pass the door, so when Rishabh's step halted, I was surprised.

"This is our second stop for the day." When I said nothing and stared at him, he continued, "What? I don't think you would like me anymore if I dragged you away from the bookstore."

"I won't be long. Just ten minutes. I will check the new releases and be out soon."

An hour later we walked out of there with eight books in total. I bought seven while he took one about astronomy for himself, though technically he did pay for all of them. He was adamant about paying and did not listen to me at all.

I hesitated while buying mine. They had, to borrow Rishabh's words, some bold pages. Only his offer to keep them at his place till I went away changed my mind. I could not even imagine the type of scoldings I would get if my parents ever got their hands on them.

After dropping off the takeout box with his driver, we decided to stroll a nearby park till Uncle Mani, his driver, finished his lunch.

The mall was on the crossroad of a busy threeway intersection and the park was on the other side. It was even difficult to cross as a section of the road was barricaded for Metro construction. We had just reached the other side when a quick backward glance made me want to cross again. I had missed the pair at the crowded bus stand.

"Once second you wait here. I will be right back."

I crossed the road again and called out to the siblings who were hawking their wares. Their family has been selling roses and small items like pens and earbuds at this signal for years. The elder sister was a teen now and the younger boy learned to walk on these busy streetside.

They ran to me barefoot and in their tattered clothes but happy to see me. I hugged them and handed them their two Happy Meals and two burgers for their parents. They gave me a rose and a smile in return.

I would have loved to give them something healthier and more permanent arrangement but it was all I could afford. So I made sure to buy them something whenever I visited the mall. 

After making promises to return soon, I returned to Rishabh to find him leaning against a lampost. His face was a shade paler and a hand against his chest

"Is everything okay?"

"Okay? No everything is not okay. Why do you even wear glasses? Could you not see the cars?" He trusted a finger at the busy roads. I pushed my glasses up my nose and furrowed my eyebrows. Of course, I could see the cars. I had a check-up done last month.