CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Leaving the office of Rishi Builders, I went straight home, too pissed off to focus on work

Leaving the office of Rishi Builders, I went straight home, too pissed off to focus on work. I feared that I would be biting heads left and right if I even attempted to venture out into the civilization.

Looks like I hadn't lost my ability to lose it. But when I did, it was catastrophic.

I went home and took another day off, deciding that I was going to bill him my time. Considering the extent of the damage he had caused my mental health over the years, it was the bare minimum.

The idea of enjoying the day at Rishabh's dime brought down my anger a bit but it reached a record high when my father called later that day.

By the time he was done, I was too emotionally drained to even cry, though I really wanted to. But I had something else that needed to be done.

I rang Abhay to ask if he could meet me tonight and he agreed, saying that there was something he needed to talk with me as well. I also made sure to let him know that I was cooking his favorite chicken biryani as a way to make sure he didn't cancel at the last moment.

I wasn't going to lie, seeing Abhay at my doorstep in the evening was a relief. I stepped closer to wrap my arms around him.

He was the first person in the entire day whom I genuinely wanted to talk to. Also, I really needed him to anchor to my current life, the one I had built, away from the ghosts of the past, the very ones who were booing away at my window. If he could shield me from them then that would be great as well.

"What the hell, Karishma?" But he wasn't in a shielding mood as he pushed me away as soon as my fingers touched the small of his back.

"What?" I drew back, furrowing my eyebrows. Why was he pissed with me?

"You fired Rishabh Mehta."

Oh, that's why. I turned around fuming, my anger returned ten-fold. I couldn't believe that weasel tattled to Abhay.

"No, don't turn my back to me when I am talking to you." Abhay's fingers gripped my shoulders and he wanked me around.

"Okay, fine you want to talk?" I masked my wince and turned around. "We will talk. Just not at my doorstep." I stepped aside and stretched an arm to signal to get in.

It was difficult to find accommodation as a single woman and it took years to build a friendly repertoire with my neighbors. I didn't want to spoil it by picking a fight with a man at my doorstep, even if he was my fiance.

I followed Abhay into my one-room flat and walked past me to take a seat on my sofa, expecting him to join me. But he chose to remain standing and then moved to pace around the narrow space between my TV and tea table.

He was taking this way harder than he should.

"Look, can't we shelve this now, please?" I joined my hands together in front of me, trying to get back my composure. "I have some bad news that I want to share with you. Something that I really want to talk about-"