chapter one

[Author's pov]: 10:30 pm:

Ring...Ring...Ring..

She sat down on the edge of the bed in her dimly lit bedroom, her fingers again dialing the same number. She knew deep down that he might not pick up, but she couldn't help but hope.

As the phone rang and rang, a calm acceptance washed over her face. She slowly pulled the phone away from her ear, her gaze fixated on the display screen. There was no anger, just a quiet understanding that he wouldn't answer.

The room fell into a hushed stillness, and she took a moment to absorb the silence, letting her thoughts linger in the air.

Should I just leave him a text?

Her fingers soon typed out a message: "Are you coming home tonight?"

She knew deep down that his response would likely never come, but she couldn't resist the urge to reach out to him one more time and see if he would reply. With a mix of hope and resignation, she pressed send and stared at the screen, waiting for any sign of a reply.

But just as she expected, the silence stretched on, punctuated only by the faint glow of the display screen. It was at that moment, as she braced herself for the familiar disappointment, that the phone rang. The name "Grandpa" flashed across the screen, and she took a deep breath before answering the call.

"Are you enjoying your dinner date with Jungkook?" Grandpa's voice came through the other end, filled with a mix of curiosity and concern. Y/n pressed her lips together, a silent pause hanging in the air before she mustered the strength to reply, "Yes, Grandpa. We just returned back home."

She knew that admitting the truth would only lead to anger and disappointment from her grandfather. Jungkook never returned to take her out for dinner, and she couldn't bear to see her grandfather upset with him. So, she chose to lie, to protect her grandfather's feelings and the fragile image of the relationship she desperately clung to.

A hint of skepticism laced Grandpa's voice as he asked, "Is that so? So you had a lot of fun?" She swallowed the lump in her throat and replied, her voice carefully composed, "Yeah, Grandpa. I had a lot of fun after spending time with Jungkook."

There was a brief pause on the end, as if Grandpa was searching for any hint of the truth in her words. Finally, he spoke again, his voice softer this time, "Are you doing alright, my child?" Her heart ached at the concern in his voice, knowing that she was deceiving the person who cared for her the most after her mother.

"Yes, Grandpa. Jungkook takes a lot of care of me, and I am alright."

A mixture of relief and sadness filled Grandpa's voice as he replied, "I see. Then I'll not disturb you and let you enjoy your time with him." With those words, he ended the call, leaving her in a heavy silence. She slowly detached the phone from her ear, her gaze fixed on the screen, her heart weighed down by the weight of her lies.

She sighed softly, her eyes tracing the patterns on her phone's screen. There was still no reply from Jungkook's side. She had expected this outcome all along, a part of her was already aware that the call would go unanswered. Yet, a tinge of disappointment lingered in her heart, a faint ache that she couldn't quite shake off.

In the dim light, the room felt cocooned in a gentle melancholy. Her thoughts danced between memories and what-ifs, as she wondered if he would ever realize the weight of her unspoken words. She longed for a connection, a bridge between their hearts that seemed to stretch endlessly apart.

But as she sat there, her mind wandering through the labyrinth of emotions, a sense of disappointment enveloped her. And soon, with a soft sigh and flicker of dismay, she placed the phone down.