chapter nine

The air was thick with tension as I stood frozen in Taehyung's arms, his voice breaking the heavy silence.

"Y/n?" The resonance of his voice sent a shock through me, prompting me to look up at him, wide-eyed.

"Taehyung..." I murmured in a low tone, my voice barely audible.

His face held a worried expression as he questioned me, cradling me in his arms. "Are you alright? Did you hurt yourself?" I shook my head slightly, meeting his gaze.

As the realization of our proximity set in, I hastily extracted myself from his arms, my fingers nervously fumbled with my hair and clothes. That was close.. A thought crossed my mind.

"Why are you-" And before I could finish my sentence, Taehyung seized my arms, closing the distance between us. "Where have you been since the last 7 months?" he inquired, his gaze piercing and serious.

"Do you have any idea how extensively I searched for you? Your cellphone number was deactivated, and I couldn't find any alternative means to reach you," he continued, the urgency in his voice evident.

I lowered my gaze, grappling with the weight of his words. "Taehyung..." I began, but he pressed on, as if understanding the difficulty I must have faced alone.

"It must have been challenging to endure everything on your own." he said, causing me to glance up at him. His gaze softened as he looked back at me.

These simple words from him were enough to make me feel floods of emotions inside. And before I could react tears were already building up in my eyes.

Hearing that stings-it did hurt a lot, but admitting it? That's a chapter I can't share with anyone.

Taehyung and I have shared an inseparable bond since childhood. He has always been there for me.

But when the storm of financial ruin struck my family, casting shadows over our once-happy home, the harsh reality revealed the true colors of those who claimed to be friends and family.

Almost all of them turned their backs, leaving us isolated in the face of adversity.

I was burdened by the weight of my family's troubles, and made a difficult decision.

Fearing further rejection, I chose to sever ties with the people who had abandoned us, including childhood friends who had now become distant memories.

In the solitude of my struggle, I sought to handle the situation on my own, shielding myself from the judgment whispers that echoed through the town.

Amidst this turbulent time, Taehyung was abroad, pursuing his career as a doctor. I was aware of his demanding career and unwilling to burden him with my troubles, I refrained from reaching out to him.

And today, after this unexpected reunion with him, it feels as if my past and my present have collided with each other, leaving me grappling with unspoken emotions.

In the hushed hospital corridor, his question lingered, "How is aunt doing?" A long pause enveloped the air. It looks like he is not aware of my mother's condition.

I hesitated to reply to his question, deciding it was best to keep him at arm's distance from my personal affairs.

Not like I don't trust him enough but I just don't want to drag anyone in my affairs anymore. I am already a burden to Jungkook, my husband in name.

"What brings you here?" I managed to utter, attempting to redirect the conversation. His response was a minute of silence, a palpable tension building as he observed my reluctance to engage with his inquiry.