chapter twenty

—[club]:[Y/n’s pov]:

People say drinking can make you feel better…it eases our pain and if that's the case then why am I unable to feel any better? Why is my heart still in so much pain?

I raised the small shot glass filled with clear liquid to my lips. With a slight hesitation, I tip it back, allowing the smooth but potent soju to flow down my throat. Initially, there's a burn, a warmth that spreads from my mouth to my chest, accompanied by a sharp, almost tingling sensation. 

A bittersweet smile escapes my lips as I place the glass down. Even this alcohol is not helping me. It's not doing its work properly. “Two more shots,” I said, making the bartender look back at me in a mix of concern and surprise. “Ma’am…you've already had enough..” he glanced at the empty glasses placed on the bar counter before me. 

“2 more shots,” I cut him off sharply, he looked at me for a moment before giving me a slight nod in understanding and heading to the other side to get me the drink. 

*Ting Ting* 

The notification sounds coming from my cell phone finally grabbed my attention, causing me to glance to the side and grab the phone. As my gaze fell on the display screen I noticed missed calls from Housekeeper Nancy and…..Jungkook. And the first thing that crossed my mind was: Why was he contacting me? 

But just when I was about to ponder more about it suddenly, a text caught my attention and it was from my uncle. My brows furrowed slightly at the sight of the text as I read it internally. 

“Y/n, can't we forget everything and move on? It's been so long now.” 

Since morning he has been calling me but I have been ignoring his calls can't he understand that I don't want to talk to him? He knows that I am trying to ignore him on purpose yet..he is not willing to give up. 

“We are a family, y/n.”  

The next text popped up and along with that, a sarcastic yet sad soft chuckle escaped my lips. Family? Which family is he talking about? The audacity of him to call himself my family. My grip on my cell phone tightened as I stared at those empty words displaying right before my eyes on my phone screen. 

Deep down I knew those were fake because no family will let you suffer alone, they won't make you feel lonely and helpless, they won't ditch you in your hard times…yet those words were crumbling my heart not because I expected anything from him or any of my relatives but because these were the same people my father once considered as his family. 

My father was always there for my uncle and others even in their hard times and now when our family was going through the worst the same people had turned their backs on us as if…we were never there for them. And today when they need help again…they are calling me their family. How selfish can people actually be? How much more hateful they can be? 

A scoff escaped my lips as I took another sip of my drink. “My family is my mother. She is my only family.” I mumbled in a low tone before switching off the cell phone and placing it to the side. 

I don’t trust anyone anymore. They all are voracious…they all are. My relatives are trying to get in contact with me again because of this marriage. They think they can use this relationship between us to attain their purposes. I wonder if I should be laughing at them or myself. 

Little do they know that in this marriage…I have a husband but only in name. I am a member of the Jeon family but only by name because the person to whom I am married never considered me as his wife then how can I be a Jeon? As a kid, I always thought my wedded life would be just like my parents full of love. My husband would love me the same way my father loved my mother.