12

"Okay, my house it is." She flashes a smile and starts walking, Damien... gazes down at their intertwined hands. He smiles... Our hands fit together perfectly. He steals a quick glance at Genie's face. She's still smiling... happy... does she have the same feelings I do?

Genie glances down at their hands. Holding his hand feels so, natural. Why? She feels his eyes on her, and her smile gets bigger as she looks forward. Miku could be right about him liking me. He acts like he does. Her eyebrows furrow as she thinks more, the smile fading as her mind seems to darken and start saying things.

Why would he like a girl like you? You seriously believe a boy like him would fall for you? Ha. Funny, Genie. Hilarious. Her thoughts start to get the better of her as she continues walking, trying to keep it together and not tear up as she starts to drown in the words her brain is telling her. She's so distracted from the voices that she can't hear anything else. A single teardrop escapes from her eye and trails down her cheek.

_______________

Damien slows his pace and stops in front of her home, letting go of her hand. "We're here!" He grins and looks down at Genie, noticing her holding back tears. "Hey, you alright?" His smile disappears, replaced with a look of concern. She seems lost somehow. What's going on in that pretty head of hers that's making her want to cry?

He then notices a tear rolling down her face and lifts his hand up, wiping it away with his thumb. He pulls her into a hug, his chin resting lightly on her head. As he brings one of his hands up and starts stroking her hair comfortingly, he starts to think. I'll always be here for you, Genevieve. Always.

_______________

Genie wraps her arms around his waist and buries her face into his chest, trying not to cry. So much for not showing weakness around him. Way to go, Genie. Tears start to flow freely down her cheeks now, staining Damien's hoodie.

Now I'm ruining his clothes. God, what is wrong with me? Why am I like this? Why won't these voices just leave me alone? "I-I'm sorry." Genie stutters out as her voice breaks, a sob escaping from her body. He just stays silent and makes the hug tighter, still stroking her hair.

As she listens to his steady heartbeat and matches her breathing to his, she realizes. Nobody's touch has ever calmed me down this quickly before. My friends can't even calm me down this fast. As the dark thoughts dissipate, a different one pops up and sticks there. One that both scares her and makes her happy. I like him. A smile appears on her face. I like Damien.

_______________

A few minutes pass as Damien feels Genie's body slowly start to relax, her breathing returning to normal. He loosens his grip around her so she can break away from the hug when she's ready. She sniffles a little and pulls away a bit. "Thank you..." She looks into his icy blue eyes with a bright smile. He stares back into her light green ones and grins back. 

There's that beautiful smile of hers that makes my heart flutter. "Everyone needs to cry sometimes. Everybody needs somebody to hug and trust." Let me be one of those people for you, Genie. He steps back from their embrace before speaking again. "Shall we go inside now?" Damien nods his head towards Genie's house. 

"Sure. I'm starving now." Who knew crying could make you so hungry? She laughs a bit and fishes the house keys out of her pocket. Please don't be home. She walks up the stairs and across the front porch with Damien silently following behind.

_______________

She's met with an empty house when she pushes the door open. Thank God. She takes the keys out of the lock and puts them in her pocket before heading to the living room. I love my parents to death, but I know for a fact that they would assume that him and I are dating. That gets her thinking something. That wouldn't be so bad though, right?

A little smile spread across her lips and then quickly disappears. Now's not the time for fantasizing about something that probably won't even happen. She lightly shakes her head and turns around, met with a slightly nervous looking Damien standing with his hands clasped in front of him. 

Aww, cute. "You can sit down if you'd like, ya know." Genie gestures towards the sofa with a smile. "I'll go grab some snacks." She turns back around and goes into the kitchen.

_______________

He watches her walk into the kitchen before glancing at the couch. Plopping down in the middle of it, he pulls out his phone. Oh? He tilts his head. I have a message from an unknown number. He opens the text and starts to read it out loud.

His eyes flash with anger as he says the words. "'I saw you with Genie just now. Back off, pretty boy. Unless you want that face of yours beaten and bruised. She's still mine.' What the fu-" His voice is cut off by a loud crashing sound coming from the kitchen. Oh, no. What if this person that messaged me broke into her house just now.  If they saw us, that means they've got to be close by. As his heartbeat starts to quicken, he quickly stands up and runs into the other room, seeing Genie standing there frozen in place.