Chapter 8.

Yibo was looking at the screen of his computer. He had noise-canceling headphones around his head as he focused on his work, busy with his codes.

He suddenly felt a hand over his shoulder, which made him flinch, and he looked over at the person who had come to him. He looked up and saw that it was the manager of his department, Callum.

Callum gave him a smirk as he looked at the work that he was doing before he said, "I saw your report, Yibo. Well done." Yibo swallowed before he nodded. "Thank you, sir."

Callum then said, "I have some work for you; I need to prepare some reports and presentations and I want some help from your."

Yibo nodded. This was nothing new; Callum was just coming and burdening him with extra work. Even though Yibo was better than Callum in every aspect, Callum became the manager because he was the friend of Yibo's stepbrother, Steve. He was also permitted by Steve that Callum can give extra work to Yibo so that Yibo can 'learn' from that, and Callum has since made Yibo do all the work and take credit for that.

Even the other employees see that and notice, but no one really says anything; some even take advantage of his kindness and burden him with work as well.

"I will get to it soon, sir," Yibo said, and Callum gave him a pat on the back before he left, and once he was gone, Yibo sighed. This was so much better than being yelled at in front of everyone and being thrown papers at his face. Callum, Steve, and Yibo's cousin Jack all went to the same high school, and since then, Yibo has been used to doing their work, their homework, and their assignments for them. If God forbade him to make any mistake, he would be greeted with punches and kicks, and even his mother would scold him.

Yibo sighed as he focused on his work.

His body was stiff, and there was tension around him. Anyone could see that he was not that comfortable here. He sat there, but there was alertness around him, as if he were scared that someone might scold him even for the smallest mistake, so he made sure to be perfect at his work.

After a while, he took a break and ate some fruits that he had packed for himself. Ever since he came back home if he can call it that, he has been reminded of the moments that he spent with Zhan, his brothers, and then his family.

Zhan's brothers were chaotic, but lovely people, his mother was a gentle and kind woman, who treated him more gently than his own mother, and his father well that man was a responsible gentleman.

And Zhan... well, Zhan was not chaotic, but he could be cruel, and Yibo learned that when he was punched by him. Zhan kept a straight face most of the time, but when he smiled, he looked like the most beautiful person that Yibo had ever seen. His voice was stern and cold, which could give anyone shivers, but it could be soothing and gentle as well, which could soothe him.

Yibo looked at his phone and grabbed it before he opened Zhan's phone number. The urge to call him and talk to him was very strong, but then Yibo once again became nervous, like what if Zhan was busy, and what if he got annoyed that Yibo disturbed him? He didn't want to be yelled at Zhan. Or what if Zhan got pissed because of his stupidity and once again punched him.

Yibo became disheartened before he kept the phone away and sighed as he focused back on his work.

That day, after his work was over, he got up and packed his stuff as he started to walk towards the exit. After the long work, he often walked back home since he was not that far and he enjoyed it most of the time since it was a good way to relax and do some exercise.

As he walked outside, a car suddenly came before him, which made him jump, and he moved back immediately. The window rolled down, and he saw that in the car was Steve.

Yibo clenched as his fists clenched, and he moved back and looked down, while Steve just looked at him and said, "Good evening, dear brother. Are you going home? Is your work finally over?"

Yibo nodded, and Steve spoke, "So how is the lovely Tina?" Yibo opened his mouth, but then Steve laughed. "Oh my bad, why would you know anything about her?"

He smirked, and Yibo just looked at him as if he didn't really get the underlying taunt, which he really didn't.

Steve then looked at him up and down and rolled his eyes. "So pathetic; it's so boring to talk to you."

He said this as he drove his car and drove away.

Yibo saw his car vanish before he resumed his journey, and as he was walking, he suddenly felt someone's presence behind him, which made him shiver. He quickly turned around, and a beautiful smile appeared on his face, and he calmed down when he saw that smile.

"You..."

"Hi there, baby cheeks."