She's Back

Alexis smiled as she jumped out of Luke's car, arm hooked with his as her nerves skyrocketed. Around a year ago she had gotten into a really bad car accident. Luckily, she wasn't seriously injured to the point where her career was over, but it had really triggered a new sense of caution in her. So she took a year off of hockey, and now she's ready.

Well, kind of.

"Hey, you'll be good, okay? You'll have me, Jack, and the whole team there to help you. If it becomes to be too much, then tell coach and he won't make you play, alright? We all know how this is for you." Luke said, hugging his little twin sister close. The girl sent him a grateful smile and leaned further into him.

Jack came around the side of his car after locking it and hooked his arm through his sister's open arm as the walked into the arena for their game. They're playing the Canucks, so it's a good game for Alexis to ease back into hockey saying that she'll be playing against her older brother and he'll tell his team not to murder her.

The three siblings walked into the arena after unhooking arms, knowing they needed to look professional for the pictures the admin will take. Alexis took a deep breath before walking behind her two older brothers and down the hallway where the admin was awaiting all the players. 

Once they got back to the locker room, Alexis began to take in just how real this is. She's getting back on the ice to play hockey. A contact sport. Her brothers both took note as they both pulled her into a tight group hug. Nico walked in and saw the short girl in the middle and gently patted her head in a comforting way. After the siblings pulled away, they retreated to their respective stalls to get into their warm up clothing for a quick game of sewer ball.

The woman took a deep breath after pulling her jersey over her shoulder pads. She began to second guess herself. Was she truly ready to get back into the game? Or would it be too much too fast?

"Lexi." Jack's voice snapped Alexis out of her never ending flow of thoughts as she snapped her head up to face her brother.

"Yeah?" She asked nervously, her hand picking at her nails. Her brother's hand reached out and grabbed hers as he kneeled in front of her.

"You don't need to get back into the game yet, Lex. Lindy would understand it if you don't think you're ready yet. Hockey is a really rough contact sport." He said to his sister, rubbing her shoulder in a comforting matter.

Alexis sighed. "No, I'm ready for it." Jack smiled and nodded, pulling her up.

"Well, what are you waiting for then?" He cheered, putting her helmet on her head and throwing her gloves at her face in a joking manner before running down the tunnel to where the team is lined up for warm up.

"JACK HUGHES!"

The ice - warm ups

"We are welcoming someone back into this building for the first time in a year." The announcer's voice sounded throughout the arena. The team pushed Alexis to the front. "Please, give a warm welcome back to our very own defenseman, Alexis Hughes!" 

To say everyone was happy would be the understatement of the century.

Cheering came from one sighed, clapping from in front of her, whistles, noise makers..everything. Alexis happily jumped onto the ice with a gigantic grin on her face as she grabbed a puck. The other team cheered as well, but the distinctiveness of Quinn was clear. Both the teams skated out, Quinn skating up to the center line and motioning his sister over. Once she got to him, he pulled her into a bear hug.

"Welcome back, sissy!" He joked, knowing her hatred for the nickname.

She laughed and rolled her eyes, hugging him even tighter. "I missed you, man." The two talked for a few minute before separating and going to warm ups.

" The two talked for a few minute before separating and going to warm ups

nhl✔️

Caption: us because we got the best pic of Quinn and Alexis Hughes for her very first game back after a year
Liked by _alexturcotte, colecaufield, and 2.7m others
Tagged: _quinnhughes, alexhughes.23

Comments:

@trevorzegras✔️: go bad bitch go bad bitch!

@colecaufield✔️: I took over a year off to cut you bitches some slack..
↳@_alexturcotte✔️: colecaufield tell a friend to tell a friend..ha..
↳↳@joshnorris10✔️: _alexturcotte she's backkkk

@user92495: Jack in the background oh no 😭

@user82957: thought they finally cut her
↳@colecaufield✔️: it's giving jealous

---

Post game

The game ended in a 6-3 win for New Jersey. Alexis got a hat trick as well, which she was shocked by but absolutely thrilled with herself. Like, a defenseman getting a hat trick? I mean, I guess Nemec did get a Gordie Howe hat trick, but it's not the same as her actual hat trick after missing a year.

"Let's go baby!" Jack yelled as he walked back into the locker room.

The room erupted into cheers and singing and dancing, even the coaches joined for a few minutes. Alexis giggled at her brother's and a few other guys reenacting the I'm Just Ken scene as the song played loudly throughout the speakers. Her head laid on the side of her locker as her knees tucked up into her chest. Man, did she forget how tired hockey makes her.

"Lexi don't fall asleep on us yet." Luke laughed. He sat down in his stall beside her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

"I forgot how tiring this sport is." Alex's tired voice was prominent in her sentence. The brother's grabbed their things and left to find Quinn.

Once they found him in a lounge area on his phone, they left for the three younger siblings' apartment. After they arrived and fought over who was showering first in the two showers of the apartment, they changed into sweatpants before gathering onto the couch and chairs in the living room.

"Thoughts on being back in action, Lex? Plus a hattie!" Jack asked his younger sister with excitement laced throughout each word he spoke.

"It was fun." Alexis admitted with a smile. "Definitely weird but also amazing to be back in that kind of environment again." The three brothers smiled and tackled her in a hug before turning on a movie to stay in for the night.

***

SHE'S BACKKKK

Hey fam. I'm back. Well, kind of?

Until March I won't be updating very much, but I'll update a little tiny bit. Maybe finally start writing for poor Jamie on here haha. But I'm still in the middle of writing my essay (yay..) so I need to focus mainly on that and some time without screens, but I'll update this once, maybe twice if I'm lucky, a week. Love y'all

WC: 1135