Shoulder Surgery

Jack was devastated to say the least.

He just received news that he's going to be out for the rest of the season with shoulder surgery. Now, he was sat on the couch, staring blankly at his phone as he received the news. Carla walked into the apartment and went to say something before seeing his dull expression.

"Jack?" She said softly, walking over and kneeling in front of him. "Hey, what's wrong?" Her hand gently traced his knee while he finally looked into her eyes.

"I need to get surgery." Jack sighed sadly, tears brimming his eyes. "I'm gonna be out the rest of the season. What if the surgery goes wrong and I can't play ever again? Or-" Carla cut off his rambling.

"Breathe, Jack." She sat on the coffee table and grabbed his hand opposite of his injured shoulder and pulled it onto her lap. "You'll be alright, okay?"

"But-"

Carla huffed. "No buts, Hughesy. Everything will go well and before you know it, you'll be on those thin knives with the puck and trying to not slip as the Hughes brothers do."

Jack let out a slight laugh at the last part of her comment and sighed, knowing she was right. He leaned forward so his forehead was on her chest. Carla smiled softly and hugged him around his waist.

"You'll be okay, alright?" She told him, rubbing his back softly. He nodded, finally believing her. A smile grew on her face as she realized she had finally broken through to him.

Summer - post surgery

Jack groaned as Carla pushed him away from the wake board again. He had gotten his surgery only a few weeks ago but claimed that he was perfectly fine to start living the summer life again. While still in his brace.

"Jack, I swear to the gods above if you don't keep your ass seated on this fucking couch I will-" Jack cut her off.

"I'll stay sitting." He huffed, grabbing her hand with his good arm and pulling her down beside him, wrapping it around her.

Luke and Quinn were whispering and laughing across from the two before Quinn looked up and finally spoke aloud. "You're whipped!" The two boys burst out laughing. Jack rolled his eyes and flipped them off over Carla's shoulder.

Carla giggled and traced small circles on his leg while Quinn sped the boat through the water, Ethan surfing the wake behind the boat while Luke recorded him for the umich admin to post later. Jack straightened his legs, moving his feet back and forth, obviously bored and desperate to do any water sports.

Sighing, Carla moved so she was sat on his lap, her hands on his face. "You need to chill because you're making me anxious for some reason." She told him.

Jack frowned and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her into his body. "I'm sorry." He mumbled. "It's just- well, you know I don't do well injured. Especially during summer. Like, my dump is gonna be so boring." Carla laughed slightly at his main concern and traced circles on his bare chest, saying he had his shirt off since, well, they were on a boat. Duh.

"Your dumps will be fine." She grinned. "It's not like you caption them anyways." He scoffed.

"Not true! I caption them sometimes." Carla pulled out her phone. "Oh god." He mumbled.

She went onto Instagram and typed in his account and clicked on the most recent post. "Aha! No caption." Carla grinned triumphantly, swinging her legs to one side of him and leaned her head on his shoulder.

Jack rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm tighter around her waist. "Yeah, yeah whatever." He muttered. "Anyone got Advil?" He asked. Trevor nodded and tossed it to him. Jack somehow caught it with his arm still around Carla's waist and nodded in thanks to him. 

The doctor advised him to take one or two a day for the first couple months whenever it bothered him, so they all made sure at least one of them had Advil on them. Carla gave him a bottle of water and he kissed her head in a thank you way before taking the pill.

End of summer, back in New Jersey

Jack had final been cleared for practice and to say he was hyped was an understatement. Carla and Luke were stood with judgy looks as he ran around the apartment.

"How the hell did you survive childhood with that?" Carla mumbled to Luke. Luke laughed and shrugged. 

"At least he won't be all pissy and bored anymore, though." The two nodded in agreement and high fived as he finally calmed down and hugged them in a group hug.

"Hughesy's back baby!" They all laughed and cheered.

***

Summer dump gonna be real different this year guys :(

WC: 787