Chapter X

7:10 PM.

Mayan and Chloe arrived home late, walking inside, the dorm felt crisp — silent even. The two would look around the living room, noticing how torn it all looked. Mayan almost snapped, all of that cleaning he did was ruined. They'd look over to see Ken, smoking green on the couch, Chloe would let her face scrunch up for a few seconds, hoping he'd take notice.

"What. The. Fuck?!" She'd shout at him.

Kenn turns his head over to her for a second, then went back to staring at the ceiling. "Why doesn't she love me?..." he'd say, with a fallen jaw.

"What the hell are you talking about," Chloe would say while whacking him with one of the couch cushions. "Clean this mess you made!"

"Go away," he wept. "Don't interrupt my moment of sorrow..."

Chloe grabbed his legs, trying to yank him off the couch. "Get up, you bum!" She shouted, ultimately failing to get him off the couch.

"I'll— *koff* get it in the morning," he assured with a smile, confusing her on what his current mood was.

Mayan would rub his forehead, stressed from the complete lack of respect for all the cleaning he did. "Kenneth," he'd utter quietly. "If you don't get this up...

Kenn quickly stood up from the couch, getting in his face. "You'll what, nigga?"

Mayan would back away, slightly, not out of fear, but out of comfort. "Your breath reeks."

The other boy would sigh, "Whatever." Then collapse back onto the couch, prompting the other two to leave.

Later in the hall, it's quiet, so quiet you could actually hear yourself think, and that is exactly what Caleb found himself doing, just thinking, thinking about basically nothing at all,but everything at the same time.

As he made his way to the dorm room, there was a hesitation in his hand, reeling back before it ever touched the door handle. He didn't want to go home, not yet, the day wasn't over. Maybe he should  talk to Sienna before she goes back home?

"Nevermind," he'd think out loud, not like anyone was around to cringe at it anyways. Caleb turns his head to the dark end of the hall. It wouldn't hurt to explore...

8:15 pm

Peter takes a scratch at his lower region. He let the noise of his headphones drown out the worries of the day -- not that there were any this particular one, and he rested his eyes for what felt like an eternity.

The boy hears someone pacing in the room. Assuming it was Caleb, he says, "Knock that off, nigga. I can't hear over your big ass feet."

"Oh, sorry," apologized the timid Iris, keeping her hands toward her center of gravity.

Peter took off his headphones, taking a look at her.
"Sup," he'd say in a softer tone. Not that he cared, but Iris looked worried -- panicked even. Usually, he'd ask and get some further detail, but today was just not one of those days.

"Where's Caleb?" She asked. Peter shrugged in response as Iris bit her nails.

She continued to pace back and forth. Then, the door handle rattled, so Iris rushed to it, carefully opening the slab of wood slightly. It was Kenneth.

"Is uh... Is Peter here!" He asked with a sniffle.

Iris opened the door wider, giving Kenneth some room to come inside. The boy took a seat next to Peter, telling him everything that he did.

(For recap: he got high and sexually harassed Kim)

"Damn. That's crazy," Peter sighed, barely managing  to keep his eyes open. "Why're telling me again?"

"I was trying to see if you could help smooth things over with her." Kenneth then slapped Peter's shoulder. "You know, since you're such a sweet talker."

"Maybe next semester."

"C'mon why not now?" The boy asked, a saddened look on his face.

Peter suddenly answered aggressively, "Because, nigga! I've got my own stuff to worry about."

"Like what!?" He said while jolting off the couch, pointing to the screen. "Playing this dumbass game while beating your shit to Lebron highlights?"

"You got it!" He smirked, putting his headphones on.

11:45 Pm

"So you came in here this late at night to browse?" Said the annoyed music store employee, who's headphones hung from his neck.

Caleb faced the clerk, shrugging his shoulders as he said, "It said you close at 12."

"Well hurry your fatasss up, I'm trying to get baked," He replied, chuckling as he walked over to the counter. Caleb wiped the tip of his finger against the bottom of the bass, rubbing the dust from his hands.

"This one."

The clerk walked over, checking the price tag. "This one's 600 on its own," he told Caleb with rasp in his voice. "And that's without taxes."

"Yeah. I read the tag already," scoffed the tall Hispanic. "Ring it up already."

"Whatever man."

The two brought the bass over to the counter, and as they went over the final price, he slaps down a wad of cash. "This should do it," Caleb told him confidently.

The clerk scanned the tag, ringing it all up. "Would you like your change back?" He asked.

"Sure."

"Well too bad!" He howled. "We're closed. Goodnight to you sir!"

Caleb took a gander at his phone, seeing it was twelve on the dot. He decided to just shrug it off, taking his packaged instrument to go.

12:36 am

Chloe laid in bed, tears making her sheets wet as she cried. It was probably the sad music she was blasting in her ear at max volume but whatever. The girl sobbed loudly to herself.

Mayan stood outside of the door, silently listening in. He felt bad. Should he go in? Maybe not. The boy tip toed past her door, making it into his room. "Ahhh," he sighed that old quench thirsting sigh, relaxing in his extra firm twin sized mattress.

Finally, a time to rela--

Chloe's crying starts to wail as loud as sirens in his ear. He shoots up from his bed, then, he stormed into her room. "Shut up!" He shouts at her.

She takes her headphones off. "What'd you say?"

Mayan lowered his tone. "What's wrong?" He'd ask, soft.

"Nothing," she refused to answer.

He pushed a little. "Talk to me."

"It's this guy from middle school..."