Chapter: 7

N A T A L I A

I had never indulged in such recklessness before, but the surge of adrenaline it brought left me with no regrets. Noah's influence was undoubtedly rubbing off on me.

My wolf, with her sassiness, quite literally rolled her eyes. She sighed and left me to my task, likely surprised that I appeared to have mustered the courage to take action independent of my mother's influence.

Following Noah's impulsive decision to disregard the beta's advise after he had rejected my best friends proposal to be granted entry to their territory, I found myself standing at the pack's border alongside said best friend and second-in-command.

Our presence posed no threat; we were simply there to ensure Ivy's safety.

I had deceived both my sister and mother, informing them that Noah, Mila and I would be conducting rounds of the surrounding territory to ensure the clan's security after hosting a gathering.

Rhea had been doubtful, but always encouraged me to be rebellious— especially, when she didn't have the chance. And though, they could easily locate me if they wished, they were too preoccupied with clan politics, affording me the opportunity to follow after Ivy.

After all, my mother would much rather the werewolf-hybrid dead over our engagement with the werewolves themselves. It was harsh, but she harboured a strong aversion to any form of interaction with them. She would be livid if she knew what we were doing.

I suspected she had been more delighted by Rhea's ceremony because the Alpha had declined our invitation. Our gesture of inviting him was merely a courtesy due to our close proximity as neighbours.

Noah's voice beside me, as he nudged my arm, snapped me back to reality. "Your heart is racing," he remarked, a hint of mockery in his voice.

Feigning offence, I huffed. "As if. They don't intimidate me. I could take on the Alpha if I wanted to."

My best friend snorted, his crimson eyes gleaming. "I'd pay to see that," he retorted. "My little witch-wolf challenging the big Alpha. How frightening."

His teasing didn't faze me. I was used to his character by this point. Only Noah would be making comments like that in a serious situation.

Rolling my eyes, I refrained from responding as the gates we were standing by swung open.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but as a tall, muscular figure emerged with three others beside him,  a sense of nervousness crept over me.

What surprised me even more was when he walked toward us and enveloped the blonde beside me in a hearty man-hug, their laughter echoed around us.

Mila and I exchanged a look of confusion, before averting our gazes back on the men.

"Felix, my man," Noah beamed as he pulled away from the beta, confirming his identity.

"Never one for rules, are you, Noah?" Felix responded, his tone more relaxed compared to the conversation I had eavesdropped in on last night over the phone.

I noticed Felix's hazel eyes briefly scanning the female beside me before settling on me.

I expected him to dismiss me the way he had Mila, but instead, his gaze seemed to linger with uncertainty, dark specs swirling in the hazel. What was his problem?