Chapter: 35

N A T A L I A

It didn't take us long to find Rhea by the border, and seeing her accompanied by a few clan members brought a sigh of relief, reassuring me that they were alright.

Callum reached for my hand and pulled me closer to him. My wolf told me he had granted them permission to enter our land.

Before I could focus my eyes on my sister, Callum planted a soft kiss on my head. He muttered something about giving my sister and I privacy, and that he would remain nearby.

I didn't have time to question him, when he disappeared and my gaze fell on my sister.

When Rhea's purple eyes met mine, I anticipated a warm and bittersweet reunion after not seeing each other for so long. However, her expression was anything but welcoming.

Her eyes narrowed with visible anger, making me worry that she was perhaps blaming me for what had happened.

"Rhea," I whispered, feeling tears welling up again at finally seeing her again. "You're here."

I had missed her, a lot. Seeing her in front of me again felt surreal.

Even in the darkness, our gaze was clear from a distance.

As I moved closer, ready to wrap her in an embrace, her next words stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Did you instruct them to do it?" she accused, her voice dripping with venom.

Her words made me frown instantly. This was unlike her. She had always been easygoing and level headed, preferring to talk over confrontation. Seeing her like this was unsettling.

I didn't recognise her.

Concerned, I asked, "What are you talking about?"

She scoffed. "Mother's murder. You had them do it, didn't you?"

My wolf let out a low growl, unexpectedly, not liking the tone that Rhea was using to speak to us.

I didn't understand why my sister was blaming me, perhaps because I was mated to Callum, but if I wanted Glenda dead, I could have taken matters into my own hands long ago.

"Rhea, you know I would never do that," I insisted, forcing my voice to remain firm.

"You know," she began with a bitter laugh, oddly resembling Glenda in that moment. "I tried to convince myself you wouldn't do something like that, but you never even bothered to check on us after you left, not even after she died."

Her words hit me hard, flooding me with guilt worse than I had felt all week. I whimpered sadly.

She was right. I had neglected them. They had suffered as a clan, and I remained silent, too weak and cowardly to face anyone, not even the pack.

"I'm sorry," I murmured, tears now streaming down my cheeks. "I wanted to, but—"

"You wanted to?" Rhea cut me short, her glare intensifying, pain evident in her dark eyes. "When? When you left? When mother died at the hands of your mate? Or perhaps, when half of the clan got murdered for no reason? Because there were plenty of opportunities."